add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'usb/X.Y.Z' mode 0660 group cups

My /etc/rc.conf
Code:
cupsd_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

I installed cups,hplip,gutenprint-cups but I cannot find how to open the gui. I guess there is a gui with oprtions etc. I don't think that printing is only from terminal!

Well I don't understand nothing over there :p
How make my printer be recognized? Add printer ask for a username and passwd witch is not me. Even as root.

You may need to add your user to the lp and/or lpadmin groups. Check /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf for the SystemGroup directive. You need to be part of that group to add printers.

1. https://localhost:631
  2. Administration tab
  3. Add Printer button
  4. Depending on the version of CUPS, you may see a list of local printers that it has detected. Either select the printer, or the port the printer is connected to. Click Continue.
  5. Give the printer a name (this is how it will appear in printer listings, and is the name of the print queue), description, location, etc. Click Continue.
  6. Then, either find the printer driver in the list by selecting the manufacturer and then the driver; or, if you have a PPD file for it already, you can click Browse and point it at the .ppd file.
  7. Click Add Printer to save the printer.

After that, you should have a print queue available. You can go to the Printers tab, and click the Print Test Page link next to the print queue to send a CUPS test print.

If that works, you can then load up an app and see if the printer shows up in the list when you print from that app.

You may need to add your user to the lp and/or lpadmin groups. Check /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf for the SystemGroup directive. You need to be part of that group to add printers.
This is the section that I cannot understand how to do it.

As root:
Code:
# grep SystemGroup /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
<probably shows lpadmin group>
# ee /etc/group
<find the lpadmin line, add your username to the end of the list>
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd reload
You will need to logout and login again in order for the system to pick up your new group membership.

You can check the output of the id command at a shell prompt, to make sure it lists lpadmin.

After that, you can connect to CUPS and add a new printer.

As root:
Code:
grep SystemGroup /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
return:
SystemGroup wheel
ee /etc/group
There is no lpadmin line. I see only: cups:*:193:
I guess so be something like lpadmin:*:value:. Right?

Code:
wheel:*:0:root,emberdaemon
I guess that I am on wheel user. Right? Then why cups not understand my username even as root? I cannot add a printer if I will not be logged in :(

No https. I hit this: http://localhost:631 as URL on chrome. Open this. I go to Administration tab and I choose option: Add printer. Ask for username and password. I give as username: emberdaemon and as password, my passwd. Just refuse to login. I try as root too. Same result.

https://localhost:631/ return me this:
Code:
SSL connection error.
Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
:(

Found some info on that printer
It is a HP PCL3e Host based printer.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1ba0863cfa6463903862569c10078c903

HP PCL3 GUI
HP PCL3e
HP PCL3 Enhanced The terms HP PCL3 GUI, HP PCL3e and HP PCL3 Enhanced indicate that the printer accepts a version of the HP PCL3 printer data stream that uses a compressed raster format that is not compatible with standard HP PCL 3 . Some users have gotten Remote Output Queues, *LAN 3812 PJL device descriptions, or *LAN 3812 SNMP device descriptions to work with HP PCL3 GUI, HP PCL3e or HP PCL3 Enhanced printers, but these are Host-based or Windows-only printer data streams so no guarantees can be made .

@sk8harddiefast:
if you are using hplip, there are two ways to setup your printer; via hplip or via cups. If the hplip way works, you don't have to touch cups at all. And that is nice, because cups needs a bit of fiddling before it will work (in my experience, anyway).

The hplip way to setup a printer is described at the HPLIP web site. unfortunately that seems to be offline just now.
But here is a guide: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~dsteinbr/computing/freebsd/howto/hplip.rb
(my apologies if you have already read it).
Basically, all you should need to do is to run # hp-setup, which will detect and install your printer. Then, as your normal user, run $ hp-systray to get the tray icon which will open the gui to manage the printer.

If you don't get a working printer after running hp-setup, there are other commands which can hekp you in finding the problem; $ hp-info and $ hp-check. Also, watch /var/log/messages, hplip binaries and / or cups will write some error / debug messages there.

HTH

Yes, PPD files lives in /usr/local/share/ppd. PPD files for HP printer live in /usr/local/share/ppd/HP. Just select the one that matches your printer.

BTW, hp-setup will work as a GUI program, but since you run it as root, it needs the DISPLAY variable of your user. If DISPLAY=:0.0, run hp-setup likes this # DISPLAY=:0.0 hp-setup.

hp-systray return me this error (running the command as user):

Code:
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.9)
System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/hp-systray", line 85, in <module>
    mod.lockInstance()
  File "/usr/local/share/hplip/base/module.py", line 649, in lockInstance
    ok, self.lock_file = utils.lock_app(self.mod)
  File "/usr/local/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 117, in lock_app
    os.makedirs(dir)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/emberdaemon/.hplip'

Back