Iris Xe Graphics on 13.1-RELEASE

So I have this iGPU (copied by hand):

Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x9a49 subvendor=0x152d subdevice=0x1307
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

and my understanding is that it should be supported with graphics/drm-510-kmod, but after I compile it and load i915kms I get this (again, copied by hand so I apologize for any typos):

Code:
drmn0: <drmn> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child drmn0 requested pci_enable_io
vgapci0: child drmn0 requested pci_enable_io
<5>[drm] Unable to create a private tmpfs mount, hugepage support will be disabled(-19).
<6>[drm] Got stolen memory base 0x0, size 0x0
drmn0: could not load firmware image 'i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_08.bin'
drmn0: [drm] Failed to load DMC firmware i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_08.bin. Disabling runtime power management.
drmn0: [drm] DMC firmware homepage: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/i915sysctl_warn_reuse: can't re-use a leaf (hw.dri.debug)!
<6>[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20200917 for drmn0 on minor 0
VT: Replacing driver "efifb" with new "fb".
start FB_INFO:
type=11 height=1440 width=2160 depth=32
pbase=0x4000040000 vbase=0xffffe0134c40000
name=drmn0 flags=0x0 stride=8640 bpp=32
end FB_INFO

Code:
$ glxinfo | grep renderer
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.1, 256 bits)

Am I missing something?

Also related to 13.1-RELEASE, ifconfig doesn't seem to be picking up my Intel AX201 Wi-Fi card, but I'll open another thread for that.

What exactly are you trying to achieve, what is the problem and what hardware are you using?
From what you've posted, I'm guessing you probably want to get the driver for some sort of 11th Gen Intel iGPU to work?

They're trying to get a video card to work, and they're trying it with an available driver, obviously.

It's probably too new of a card to be supported by that driver. If someone who knows this driver better says it can work with that hardware, then go with that. For something new, there may be better odds of trying the video drivers that used to be the recommended ones in the ports tree.

It now reports the correct renderer string:

Code:
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)

The only change I did was add i915kms to kld_list rather than loading the module manually, so it seems loading the driver earlier in the boot process fixed the issue (the original renderer string suggested software rendering with no hardware acceleration).

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem with a new laptop. Could you describe what you've done to get it to work? I am stuck without graphics now

Thank you very much JozanOfAstora.

I have uninstalled drm-kmod package.

Building graphics/drm-510-kmod from ports cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/ && make install clean throws a make error.

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/ && make install clean
===>  Building for drm-510-kmod-5.10.113
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1/obj
(cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1 ; /usr/bin/env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1/obj KMODDIR="/boot/modules" SYSDIR="/usr/src/sys" NO_XREF=yes XDG_DATA_HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work  XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work  XDG_CACHE_HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/.cache  HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work PATH=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/.bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin NO_PIE=yes MK_DEBUG_FILES=no MK_KERNEL_SYMBOLS=no SHELL=/bin/sh NO_LINT=YES PREFIX=/usr/local  LOCALBASE=/usr/local  CC="cc" CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe  -fno-strict-aliasing "  CPP="cpp" CPPFLAGS=""  LDFLAGS=" " LIBS=""  CXX="c++" CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing  "  MANPREFIX="/usr/local" BSD_INSTALL_PROGRAM="install  -s -m 555"  BSD_INSTALL_LIB="install  -s -m 0644"  BSD_INSTALL_SCRIPT="install  -m 555"  BSD_INSTALL_DATA="install  -m 0644"  BSD_INSTALL_MAN="install  -m 444" /usr/bin/make obj)
make[1]: "/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1/Makefile" line 4: Cannot open /usr/src/sys/conf/kern.opts.mk
make[1]: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod

Thank you very much JozanOfAstora.

I have uninstalled drm-kmod package.

Building graphics/drm-510-kmod from ports cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/ && make install clean throws a make error.

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/ && make install clean
===>  Building for drm-510-kmod-5.10.113
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1/obj
(cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1 ; /usr/bin/env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1/obj KMODDIR="/boot/modules" SYSDIR="/usr/src/sys" NO_XREF=yes XDG_DATA_HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work  XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work  XDG_CACHE_HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/.cache  HOME=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work PATH=/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/.bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin NO_PIE=yes MK_DEBUG_FILES=no MK_KERNEL_SYMBOLS=no SHELL=/bin/sh NO_LINT=YES PREFIX=/usr/local  LOCALBASE=/usr/local  CC="cc" CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe  -fno-strict-aliasing "  CPP="cpp" CPPFLAGS=""  LDFLAGS=" " LIBS=""  CXX="c++" CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing  "  MANPREFIX="/usr/local" BSD_INSTALL_PROGRAM="install  -s -m 555"  BSD_INSTALL_LIB="install  -s -m 0644"  BSD_INSTALL_SCRIPT="install  -m 555"  BSD_INSTALL_DATA="install  -m 0644"  BSD_INSTALL_MAN="install  -m 444" /usr/bin/make obj)
make[1]: "/usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1/Makefile" line 4: Cannot open /usr/src/sys/conf/kern.opts.mk
make[1]: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod/work/drm-kmod-drm_v5.10.113_1
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod

You need the system source from your current running system version in /usr/src.

Alexander88207 Thank you, you are right, I forgot to include the source during install on this machine.

Everything went well this time. I was able to compile and install graphics/drm-510-kmod. The system rebooted with no freeze. I then installed a minimal Xorg and was able to launch its default Window Manager (I believe twm)

Thank you again SirDice, JozanOfAstora and Alexander88207.

I forgot how thrilling it was to compile from source!

Is drm-510-kmod available in the "latest" pkg repos? If so, switching to use that may be a little easier than building from ports.

Back