Solved Windows11 host, vbox, FreeBSD 12.2 guest

I have been successfully running my FreeBSD 12.2 vbox VM for over a year now.
Originally on Windows 10 (long story why Windows is the base OS, a story for a different day), but upgraded to Windows 11 via Microsoft's upgrade path.
After the initial reboot of Windows 11, everything came up and I started the FreeBSD vbox VM w/o any issues. I also have a Windows AD server running in a separate vbox VM, and it too booted w/o any issues.
Overnight Windows 11 applied three patches (from what I can tell) that required it to reboot.
When I logged in and set things up again, the Windows AD server vbox started up w/o any issues. When I then attempted to start the FreeBSD vbox, it started booting, got through most of the boot process and then hit a 'privileged instruction' error. Rebooted, and went through the same boot - until it hit the same error, and rebooted again - in a reboot loop.
Thinking that there might be corruption on the FreeBSD boot image, I tried to create a new vbox VM using a 12.2 DVD. While booting, it too hit the 'privilege instruction' error and went into the same boot loop.
Note that I tried the same version of vbox on my Linux machine and was able to successfully boot both the DVD and the VHDs I had copied over.
Is there something special that FreeBSD does during boot that Microsoft would now make invalid/illegal?
I wish I could do a screen capture of the failure, but have been unable to catch it - passes through quickly and I've been unsuccessful with snipping tool.
Thanks!

Here is a pictures of the failure:

Attachments

• FreeBSDstate.png
    FreeBSDstate.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 61
  • FreeBSDfail.png
    FreeBSDfail.png
    689.6 KB · Views: 66
FreeBSD 12.2 is end-of-life and not supported anymore.

Back