Problems with my Samsung USB printer

UPDATE!!

You don't need anymore the linux compatibility!!
Most of Samsung's are being supported by the print/splix drivers!
(CUPS printer drivers for Samsung Printer Language printers)

Just a little piece of advice in case someone is planning to buy a new printer …

My recommendation is to give up on USB and try to look for a WLAN-enabled printer. The first advantage is obvious: You can place it anywhere, not necessarily near a PC. You only need a power socket and WLAN coverage, of course. Furthermore, the printer can be used from multiple PCs (and even tablets and smartphones) without having to install special software for remote USB printer access or similar.

The second advantage is not so obvious: Most WLAN-enabled printers support the LPR protocol and work out of the box with FreeBSD, without installing anything. Just add the printer to /etc/printcap and you’re done. Of course you can still install CUPS or APSfilter if you want to (e.g. if you need the conversion features), but you don’t have to. For example, I’ve got a HP M252dw, and I can send PDF files directly to the printer with lpr(1).

The downside is the price, though. Most cheap consumer printers don’t support WLAN.

Im gona do little necro here but maybe it will help for someone.
To get my printer (M2070W) working with cups and linux drivers on FreeBSD i did:
1 . Install linux-c7-cups-libs and linux-c7-dbus-libs, dont forget to install cups-filters.
2 . I downloaded Samsung drivers, copied uld/i386/rastertospl to /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/.
Copy your printer driver ppd to /usr/local/share/cups/model/samsung/.
Then I copied uld/i386/libscmssc.so library to /compat/linux/usr/lib/ .
Printer works very well when setup in cups.
My printer is setup to work over network, so im not sure if it can work same way with usb.
This works like a charm for Samsung M2020. Thanks tyson
Just take care that Linux emulation support is fully enabled and the permissions for copied files should be the same that the other files in that folders.

Back