Logitech Quickcam on usb problems

To get my Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 working I have installed multimedia/webcamd, and the following packages:-
Code:
pwcbsd-1.4.1_12                The Linux pwc webcam driver ported to FreeBSD
pwcview-1.4.1_7                The Video4Linux PWC webcam viewer

pwcbsd reportedly supports Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000
pwcview seems to supercede pwcbsd as pwcview removed pwcbsd before continuing installation.

I have tried Cheese which comes with the MATE to test the camera but it reports that no device is found.
Similarly:
Code:
# pwcview
Failed to access webcam: No such file or directory
Make sure you have connected your webcam to the root hub
or to a USB 1.1 hub, also check your dmesg for any errors.

dmesg appears to have identified a camera here :-
Code:
ugen2.2: <vendor 0x046d Camera> at usbus2

also....
Code:
# usbconfig
ugen4.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen3.1: <Intel UHCI root HUB> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <Intel UHCI root HUB> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.1: <Intel UHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <Intel UHCI root HUB> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <SEM USB Keyboard> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (98mA)
ugen0.3: <ALCOR Generic USB Hub> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (100mA)
ugen1.2: <Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen4.2: <SanDisk Ultra Fit> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (224mA)
ugen0.4: <Logitech Wireless Receiver> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (50mA)
ugen2.2: <vendor 0x046d Camera> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
ugen3.2: <vendor 0x058f USB Reader> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)

Code:
# webcamd -d ugen2.2 -N vendor-0x046d-Camera> -S unknown -M 0
webcamd: Cannot find USB device

full dmesg output is attached

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 149
pwcview seems to supercede pwcbsd as pwcview removed pwcbsd before continuing installation.
They both build from the exact same source and at first glace just look like two different ports for the same thing.

I have tried Cheese which comes with the MATE to test the camera but it reports that no device is found.
Looking at their respective descriptions I suspect you need multimedia/pwcbsd as that installs a driver for this webcam. With this driver I believe you don't even need multimedia/webcamd.

Did you start webcamd and load cuse? webcamd(8)

kldload cuse, webcamd -d ugen2.2 -M 0 should work though.
I already used kldload cuse and added it to /boot/loader.conf:-
Code:
# cat /boot/loader.conf
cuse_load="YES"
snd_hda_load="YES"
fuse_loader="YES"

trying your code:-
Code:
#  webcamd -d ugen2.2 -M 0
webcamd: Cannot find USB device

reinstalled pwcbsd but still get no device found in Cheese.
As far as I understood the port it installs a driver. You probably need to load it with kldload(8), then plug in the webcam.

Look at the files it installs: pkg info -l pwcbsd. Specifically look for a file with the *.ko extension, that's a kernel module.

Back