Toxic social face recognition points to end of privacy

Finally privacy has come to an end:

https://www.insider.com/law-enforcement-using-unknown-facial-recognition-technology-facebook-photos-2020-1 said:
A startup company took billions of photos from Facebook and other websites to create a facial-recognition database, and hundreds of law-enforcement agencies are using it

What kind of personality does it need to add such a plague to mankind? Obviously it needs to be evil enough to get financed by Peter Thiel.

BTW where are the images of the developers usually found on Instagram? Shouldn't they have nothing to hide?

Technology has run amuck... Saw this scary development on HN a couple of days ago.

Is it illegal to hide your face?
Officers previously insisted people could decline to be scanned, before later clarifying that anyone trying to avoid scanners may be stopped and searched.
Wow that is quite a contrast. From opt out to a mandatory search. Lying sods will do anything to trick people into allowing this..

“It’s creepy what they’re doing, but there will be many more of these companies. There is no monopoly on math,” said Al Gidari, a privacy professor at Stanford Law School. “Absent a very strong federal privacy law, we’re all screwed.”

The developers of the atomic bomb started thinking of ethics. But when the army had the weapon they had no more control to prevent using it.

If some developers of AI are lacking responsibility, their AI can be a toxic technology.

Managers usually get extra compensated well when morality needs to be set aside. The man on the street thinks they get paid for so much responsibility, haha. Social disruption pays.

Better get used to it.
Nope the first politician that gets bitten by this will try and regulate it.
I will start wearing a burka in public if necessary.

I remember about 20 years ago Virginia Beach bough some companies facial recognition system for our oceanfront's "Resort Area" cameras.
It was a bust and we never heard anything more about it. Totally pissed away alot of money for a farce.

Kind of like self driving cars. They are a long long way into the future.
Until then all kinds of snake oil salesmen will try and convince you their system works 99% of the time.

Nope the first politician that gets bitten by this will try and regulate it.
No. They will try to get exception from this.
Please read 1984 on how and why this works. It was a f-ing warning, not a manual!

I quote that book a lot when talking about the downfall of society. Yes, we all should be very concerned.

I'm old enough to remember when not even States in the US had common data bases. At some point everything about each individual is going to be in one national data base, DNA, financials, digital profile, medical records, GPS, you name it.

Then we'll each carry a chip or some other identification mechanism to access our entry in the data base. May not happen in my lifetime, but I really think it's heading that way.

the first politician that gets bitten by this will try and regulate it
A EU-draft suggests to regulate facial recognition. Let's see if it makes it into the final version:
The EU is also considering new obligations for public authorities around the deployment of facial recognition technology and more detailed rules on the use of such systems in public spaces.
EU-Draft seen by Bloomberg suggests limits on facial recognition

I will start wearing a burka in public if necessary.
Finally got a smile today. :) Remember to show us a selfie then.

Uhm.. so they took photo's from Facebook (stuff people shared themselves) and use those for facial recognition?

So instead of going all drama with "the end of privacy" remarks I think a much better issue to raise here is this: Why expect privacy in the first place if you're actively using "social" media networks? This development definitely doesn't intrude on my privacy, for the simple reason that I don't use Twitter, Facebook or any other of that nonsense.

ShelLuser This is more roundabout. Because so many twats out there share everything, you are expected to do that also. And if you don't, that is suspicious. Just ask any minister of interior...

If you show your face in public, you have never had any expectation of privacy. Going down the street: People can see you. That's the definition of "public". Sure, you can play tricks (tinted windows while you get driven in your limo so people can only see the face of the driver, oversized sunglasses and grey trench coats like spies use), but public spaces are by construction not private.

If you post your face on a universally readable medium (like Facebook or your own web site), you have no expectation of privacy. If you state your opinions under your own name in places like Twitter or a blog, you have no expectation of privacy. Rather on the contrary: you do that deliberately to publish.

Being surprised or upset that your public information is not private is hypocritical.

Now, should we change that? Should we pass laws that say that it is illegal to see people in public, to write down who you see, to talk about whom you have seen or who has said what? We could. It is even more 1984 than the reality we are in right now.

Because so many twats out there share everything, you are expected to do that also

I think that's really true. I almost got caught up in that crap some years ago when it first started happening, but then I realized I don't want myself posted on the internet without anonymity.

Along a similar line it bugs me the way institutions expect everyone to have a smart phone up their ass now. I don't and it gives me trouble sometimes. Just try to do everything without a smart phone and you'll find you're expected to have one at some point.

I'm not going to be holding out on a basic phone much longer, smart phone will be forced on me soon. Not by choice, only because my provider's deprecation of 3G will require it. Nobody is making basic 4G phones so they will be a thing of the past.

Back