Solved Kodi trouble

Hello,
I need some help with getting Kodi to run properly. I have a computer that serves as a file/media server and media PC for a TV. I run Emby in jail and use Kodi as a media player. I've recently upgraded to 12.1 AMD64 from 11.2. I tried using poudriere but it was a total disaster. I finally got all of the ports to rebuild and everything working except Kodi. I have not upgraded the jails yet. That's a problem for another day. The problem I have with kodi is it crashes/core dumps when launched as a regular user. The log doesn't seem too helpful other than possibly there is a gremlin with the graphics card/driver. I'm using an Nvidia gt730 with driver 340 from ports. Everything else seems to be OK. If I launch Kodi from root it works fine. I've tried deleting the .kodi file from the user account as was recommended on some internet searches but that did not fix it. I'm assuming there is a permission problem somewhere but I don't know how to proceed. If anybody has an idea let me know.

Thanks
Bullittman

Hello,
After some more testing with no success I looked at the crash log again. The only thing that sticks out is it does warn that it fails to initialize egl. I'm not sure what that is or if that matters.

Bullittman

Hi Mate

The Kodi package is unmaintained and is at version 17.6 whereas the current version is 18.5,
that may account for the errors

If you get Kodi working i wrote a python script called pilfer that let you record any video stream from Kodi,
either from within Kodi or on the command line

Running Kodi or any other gui application as root is probably not a good idea

Hello,
Thats good to know about kodi being unmaintained. I've seen the warning about it being unmaintained but never gave it a second though. I'll try kodi-devl. Currently I'm running multimedia/kodi. I Haven't used it as running gui applications as root is not wise. I'll see if it builds and see what it does.

Thanks
Bullittman

Hello,
It looks like upgrading to kodi-dev fixed it. It loads as a normal user and everything seems to work. Thanks everybody!!

bullittman

Back