So I Found This Website Where It Says That FreeBSD Is Based On The Linux Kernel... fsck? :(

https://www.educba.com/linux-vs-bsd/

And in particular, here is the part of the Page where I got confused. The pic is attached below. Why, God, why...? :'‑( The whole page is not entirely inaccurate, but spreading wrong information is bad for those looking for a solid understanding of such things... And to my understanding, Unix didn't have a BSD variant until after the 70's. :(

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-12-05 20-12-12.png
    Screenshot from 2019-12-05 20-12-12.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Screenshot from 2019-12-05 20-13-44.png
    Screenshot from 2019-12-05 20-13-44.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 364
People also look at "news" on the internet which, nowadays, is mostly based on advertising dollars, rumors, popularity contests and lies.

I heard about this problem some time ago and emailed them. Never heard back and, obviously, they chose to ignore pertinent information. Which should tell one everything they need to know about the quality of that site.

There are a number of sites with bad or misleading information. This one looks to be made by someone that's just misinformed. There are a few other sites we know of and those are made by blatantly obvious trolls. Just ignore them. They're sole purpose is to aggravate and by responding you're giving them exactly what they want.

I had one particular in mind but wanted to be discreet as possible. :p

RedPhoenix
The sentence "BSD is based in linux kernel" is definition of Linux distroes. It's like comparing Linux kernel with Ubuntu or Arch which is meaningless.
The rest of document proves BSD can not be linux based.
In the second picture you see BSD was born in 1977 and is older than Linux born in 1991.
I think that wrong sentence have been mistyped some how, they probabely meant 'BSD is Unix based'.

That was back in the day of Ma Bell. I didn't know anything about computers but knew controlling all those switches was no easy task, and if Ma Bell was using it that was bigtime to me.

When people ask me what kind of computer I use sometime I say like the one the phone company uses, when I'm not telling them it's like the one on Wargames or The Matrix. They don't know the difference anyway. :)

That's the problem. In 14 years of using UNIX I've only met one person who knew what it was and he lives in my building.

I was sitting in my truck smoking, he came out of the building to empty the trash, walked up to the truck and said he knew what my license plates meant. He has a Degree in Computer Science Communications, used FreeBSD briefly in the 90's but mostly RedHat. Now he only uses Windows. I had hopes of us hitting it off but that never came about.

He drank away his Degree and lost his job emptying the trash because of it to boot. I can relate and drinking has cost me more than jobs, but I moved past that.

He said he didn't approve of his daughter being a Psych major. That she should have gone into something that paid more and now she was cleaning up retarded people who had defecated themselves. I think emptying the trash paid $200 a month...

You might say I worked my way from "the bottom" up in a clinical environment. I couldn't put a price on the things I learned during that time and worked 9 years in the field, but kept that to myself. We talk from time to time but I'm always observing him.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :) I'm glad I'm not the only person interested in correct information. :) But, now, Project Trident is indeed now based on the Linux Kernel, if I'm not mistaken.

He said he didn't approve of his daughter being a Psych major. That she should have gone into something that paid more and now she was cleaning up retarded people who had defecated themselves. I think emptying the trash paid $200 a month...

Uh, I have Autism. I'm all about not taking things seriously, but isn't using "retarded" a bit extreme in this light?

That lady isn't stupid. She just wanted everyone in the store to know what mr. Clinton did 😅
Or Mrs "can't we just drone this guy" Clinton.
I consider my fellow humans to be equal opportunity douchebags.

The thread has gone pretty much off the rails now anyway, so I might as well pile on.
Famous last words, "Hold my beer and watch this..."

Reminds me of the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover episodes. When Bart calls the bar and gets Moe to ask for "Mr. Keebum, mr. Lee Keebum".

But then you miss someone saying, "It's UNIX. I know this!"
I'm such a movie nerd, that's a Jurassic Park reference :)

I'm not much of a Hollywood film aficionado, but I'm a good driver. :)

That's the problem. In 14 years of using UNIX I've only met one person who knew what it was and he lives in my building.

I've been using FreeBSD for 7 years, maintain Ports, and even have patches in the kernel. And yet have only met one other BSD user in person, and that an OpenBSD user. Zero developers or contributors.

I met countless Linux users, a few people who worked on Linux containers, and one embedded Linux kernel developer. I work with a big-shot computer science professor at a well-known university in New York which I attend (until I graduate in December). And I even met four Microsoft software engineers at their Redmond HQ (all of which work on Exchange).

And still met zero FreeBSD users despite using it for SEVEN years.

Back