FuryBSD - New FreeBSD Desktop OS

FWIW, I am pretty sure that if you don't choose to install ports during the install from a normal FreeBSD install image, there won't be a /usr/ports directory. either. (I don't install ports during installation. I figure it will be out of date, so I just add a /usr/ports directory and run portsnap fetch extract after installation.)

Trihexagonal, I only see the one download link, and it seems to be for xfce. I don't see any links for other desktops. (Though I suppose you could add a different desktop or window manager after installation).

At the top there is a dropdown menu under "Download NOW!" with an XFCE and KDE option. Incidentally, it's twice the size of the XFCE .iso at 3GB. I used dd to write the .iso to USB same as a memstick.img file.

KDE.png

This is the best freebsd project ever , it just needs to put some efforts on graphics drivers/hardware detection and it will be perfect, i like that and i have tried many project like this, this is the best so far . You just had to configure the graphics by yourself if you have amd for example .

At the top there is a dropdown menu under "Download NOW!" with an XFCE and KDE option. Incidentally, it's twice the size of the XFCE .iso at 3GB. I used dd to write the .iso to USB same as a memstick.img file.

View attachment 7288

Thanks Trihexagonal. Actually I was hoping for an openbox version, though as I said I assume one could install it afterwards. Regardless, it's still a nice tool to quickly test hardware.

I build the furyBSD iso from a laptop with FreeBSD 12.0 installed.
But when I boot on the usb stick, I have a black screen with the dock and menu. Nothing seams to be active.

I will be a great thing if we can chose the keyboard map.

Going back to the BIOS thing, when secure boot was first introduced, MS promised they would make it easy to disable. Years later they said, "Backsies". Too lazy to google both their promise and withdrawal of it but despite my great age, pretty sure I have that correct.

Have you tried switch to a console with alt+f2 for example ?
Furybsd has some scripts to easily install nvidia drivers and intel drivers but none for amd gpu i tried furybsd on my amd graphics card it is installed with the radeon driver and
i switch it to amdgpu drm_kmod driver , its very simple !
FuryBsd is my favorite project i just don't prefer the plasma version.

Well, at this point, I am not too pleased with FuryBSD.
I have so far attempted to install FuryBSD on two computers, an Acer laptop with an Intel video, and a desktop with an Nvidia video adapter. Both end the same way in the install process, with a black screen with the install system awaiting input which I cannot see, so I must abort the install.

There is at least one other post here from another user who ended up the same way as I have.

Both computers work just fine with FreeBSD 12.1, and on the desktop machine, with an OLD version of TrueOS.

I strongly suggest that the developers of FuryBSD address this video issue as soon as they can.

BTW, I am not so much interested in operating my own 'pooters with such a desktop, but I am working on some machines for some other users who are less competent than I.

Ken Gordon

I tried FuryBSD from the USB stick on my W520 with Nvidia Optimus. It gave me what looked like 800x600 resolution and appeared to default to the x11/nvidia-driver-340 while mine uses x11/nvidia-driver-304. I tried changing it from the applet to no avail so I installed it to disk.

I installed the right driver from pkg but still got the same 800x600 resolution. The applet was no longer available and the Display settings only had the "Default" settings which was disabled.

I did not think to install x11/nvidia-settings and x11/nvidia-settings like I normally do and could probably have fixed things since I already had a desktop. But it was a full moon and time was wasting so I opted to install FreeBSD instead, and that takes most of a day.

It appeared to work fine on my T400 with Switchable Graphics with Intel GMA 4500MHD and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470, which is using the Intel driver.

It was a lot better first time experience than I had with TrueOS. Everything worked and I went straight to the desktop, I wasn't stranded at the desktop and forced to use another DE to get a terminal, it wasn't over-encumbered with a lot of useless programs by default and didn't make the decision for me that I should use security/sudo instead of su.

Don't think I didn't want to be the first one to post a FuryBSD screenshot in their forum but still give it my Seal of Approval. 🌕

...a screen pops up with Live User and asking for a userID and password. Dunno what this is.

The default password is FuryBSD. Shhh... Don't tell anybody.

OK. I see what is happening: it is running off the memstick. Also, the mouse no longer works. Not sure why yet. It WAS working.

It's not meant to run full time off the memstick. If you've left it running for a while that may be why your mouse quit working.

Doesn't work for Live User. Still asks me for password.

I got it from their site and is what I used.

I guess I'll just wait to see what, if anything, eventually happens. I would really like it if the install system would ask me to add a user and a root password though.

It will. You'll be able to watch the whole thing from a terminal on the desktop. It asks you to create a root password and gives you the chance to make a usr account just like the default FreeBSD installer.

Mine got stuck at boot. connecting .. disconnecting mouse I gave up....

I booted from a memstick on which I had written the ISO with Rufus. I also plugged a USB mouse into a USB port. Then, it booted just fine, but eventually came up with a Live User on-screen prompt. Turns out the password is furybsd all lower case.

Then I double-clicked on the install icon on the desktop and away it went. Finally it asked for a root password, and asked to add a user, which I did. After that, it rebooted itself and I removed the memstick.

It then came up just fine and works well. Kinda slow since the laptop I am running it on is old and slow, but otherwise is good.

Does that help you?

Ken Gordon

BTW, I really like FuryBSD....it is much better than the TrueOS I tried a few years ago and STILL have not been able to update that. I'm going to kill that and switch to FuryBSD asap.

You do know this is a FreeBSD forum. What you might not know that discussion of spinoffs is generally frowned upon.

Mods haven't said anything, and I've tried to be especially helpful because I know malco_2001, but if you're planning on using FuryBSD this probably isn't the place to discuss it. They do have a forum where it would be more appropriate.

You do know this is a FreeBSD forum. What you might not know that discussion of spinoffs is generally frowned upon.

Ah! I was not aware of that. Thank you. I'll delete any of my previous posts here which are inappropriate.

Mods haven't said anything, and I've tried to be especially helpful because I know malco_2001, but if you're planning on using FuryBSD this probably isn't the place to discuss it. They do have a forum where it would be more appropriate.

I was not aware that there was a forum dedicated to FuryBSD. If you could point me to that, I would be grateful.

Ken Gordon

Ah! I was not aware of that.
The Off-Topic forum description says:
Have some non-FreeBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not related to FreeBSD? This is the forum for you. Note: this is NOT a forum for technical questions about non-FreeBSD operating systems!
Also this thread in the forum rules: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/pc-bsd-freenas-xigmanas-and-all-other-freebsd-derivatives.7290/

I was not aware that there was a forum dedicated to FuryBSD. If you could point me to that, I would be grateful.
https://forums.furybsd.org/

I don't agree that derivatives shouldn't be discussed here, other than the (owners?) don't like it. And since it's their house, then it's their rules. I'll agree to disagree, but abide by their rules. (Just don't ask me to like it.)

I like your project, because i come from Linux and want to past to FreeBSD.
But for now it's not working on my Lenovo Thinkpad T550 : i can charge it, but a get 640x480 resolution, i think because my Intel HD graphic 5500 not reconeized. Wifi card seams ok : Wireless-AC 7265 #2 but i could not test it due to screen resolution and english keyboard.

Back