Closed ClarityOS - A freeBSD fork

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as my usual 2¢ to many a thread: last orders, please, before the hammer falls down. This topic seems to get nowhere quite fast.

They threw pet under the bus IMO.

you know, i feel the same but i have no clue what to do or should i still be helping them? idk where it will lead if anywhere to be honest. it might be the best for me to leave this project?

i'm here making fool of myself for their OS, while they don't even want to come to the freeBSD forums and explain what they have in mind.. idk what shall i do :( but i don't have the heart to leave them, i want to help, but i am not ready to take the blame for the s*it they may make...

you know, i feel the same but i have no clue what to do or should i still be helping them? idk where it will lead if anywhere to be honest. it might be the best for me to leave this project?

i'm here making fool of myself for their OS, while they don't even want to come to the freeBSD forums and explain what they have in mind.. idk what shall i do :( but i don't have the heart to leave them, i want to help, but i am not ready to take the blame for the s*it they may make...

I believe you acted in good faith and did as they asked. I looked at your Twitter account and saw you successfully built FreeBSD from scratch for the first time on Jan 19th. You probably just got caught up in the excitement of using a new OS and being a part of something.

If it was me, I would have expected them to post to the thread and make their own explanations. Knowing they joined and left me to make explanations and apologies for them without saying a word would not go over well. Worse still if I was just now finding out they had joined. I don't have their member number to show their profile but do a search for a post and spell out their name.

I'd advise you to stick with FreeBSD and remain a member of the forums. We're not really that mean. I'm the only real Demon here. ;)

I'd advise you to stick with FreeBSD and remain a member of the forums. We're not really that mean. I'm the only real Demon here. ;)

yep i'll stay a member here and stick with stock freeBSD. freeBSD is really neat OS!

but ill keep their site online too, i don't want to hit them offline or to leave them behind. i just wont advertise it or talk about it. i don't care what they do, it's their project. as i said many times before, im just the server gal, but i shouldn't've tried to advertise it to be honest.

And you Trihexagonal, you aren't a Demon, you're a Daemon. Demons are evil, Daemons are not. 🤭

As someone who has taken on big projects before just for fun, I'd say congrats to anyone trying to create an OS. Without infringing on copyright law of course ;)
But you two/three might want to start with something just a little less ambitious. Kernel and OS development is probably the hardest development there is.
Rewarding though, so if you can pull it off go for it. If not, lessons might still be learnt and it can be revisited in a few years when skill levels have changed.

A small remark about something I don't understand:
They threw @pet under the bus IMO.
As far as I read on the ClarityOS forum, it was a joint decision between pet and sylveonbxy. I'm not sure I'm capturing all nuances here. But written language
does have a tendency to do that.

Anyway, good luck to all involved.

As far as I read on the ClarityOS forum, it was a joint decision between pet and sylveonbxy. I'm not sure I'm capturing all nuances here. But written language
does have a tendency to do that.

Anyway, good luck to all involved.

actually the OS it self is sylveonbxy's idea only. they just asked me can i keep their servers up, tho we do discuss what they should do with the OS, but they do all the coding/porting/etc, honestly not sure how it all works.

A small remark about something I don't understand:

As far as I read on the ClarityOS forum, it was a joint decision between pet and sylveonbxy. I'm not sure I'm capturing all nuances here. But written language does have a tendency to do that.

I based that observation on pet's posts in this thread but scrutinized it all carefully before making my statement.

Thanks for linking to sylveonbxy. It shows they joined yesterday at 12:59pm which was 3 minutes after pet posted about having asked them to join so they could "reply better to everyone's questions."

regarding this, i can't provide more info without the dev giving it to me. i told them to register so maybe they will reply better to everyone's questions.

However, they remained silent and continue to do so. Therefore throwing pet "under the bus", leaving them to post a message about the copyright issue 3 hours later at 4:01pm in an effort to clear their name.

• Thanks
Reactions: pet
I think the person who runs ClarityOS doesn't know what they're doing. Not understanding copyright is a big indication. There are a few things like major projects that seem easy, because they are understood on an abstract level, but then as you learn, you realize what you don't know. This is years or a decade away from being able to start something successfully on one's own.

sylveonbxy needs to respond on here.

A few hours, that's ok, but after a few days, time is due to respond here. It's not good to ask someone to post for you, then leave her to answer questions by herself for much longer.

You stated you aren't aware of the goings-on of the developer(s), so I can only assume you're providing hosting, since you aren't able to provide content/details on the development itself. I think it's great you got yourself involved, but I'd be a bit careful before you start hosting web services over your own connection, if that's what you're doing. Surely, for someone working on an OS, it shouldn't be that difficult to spin up a web server/hosting, forums, repos, etc.

Regardless - no publicity is bad publicity, right?

some of those derivatives want to do anything really different (TrueOS actually does stuff), and beyond the same FreeBSD but with a new wallpaper
Actually I am bit confused about these derivatives/fork/bistros. The distrowatch
containing nearly hundred varieties. In my capacity I can use 3/4 os fluently and master 1/2 OS properly. Apart from wallpaper choice and orientation/availability
of programas FreeBSD is a good OS for any experiment with. Integration of any tool or security features may be good for me without migrating to a new world.

pet put themselves out there enthusiastically promoting something they believed in.

yeah, i believed in the project, still do. but, at this point, i'm not even sure if the dev knows what they're doing....

You stated you aren't aware of the goings-on of the developer(s), so I can only assume you're providing hosting, since you aren't able to provide content/details on the development itself. I think it's great you got yourself involved, but I'd be a bit careful before you start hosting web services over your own connection, if that's what you're doing. Surely, for someone working on an OS, it shouldn't be that difficult to spin up a web server/hosting, forums, repos, etc.

Regardless - no publicity is bad publicity, right?
they actually paypal'd me money to rent a VPS is Bulgaria for them. so it's not over my home network. but yeah, i am the hosting, i manage everything server related. im their sysadmin. i keep the website up, ill set up the mirrors if they ever decide to release the OS, etc.

they actually studied networks, so it definitely wouldn't be hard for them to manage a VPS or a Dedi, but they asked me can I do so for them instead, and I accepted.. idk i just wanted to be a part of something...

I do server stuff but, they do ask me what should we do with the OS itself, but again, that's still on them, they're developing it.

-----------
this thread is a huge mess.. and likely the os is the same. i'm sorry for even making this thread

this thread is a huge mess.. and likely the os is the same. i'm sorry for even making this thread

Then this is a good time to close it. If there are ever going to be forums or online support options for ClarityOS, send me a PM and I will link to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back