HOWTO: Syncthing on FreeBSD

I would like to share an article about setting up Syncthing instance on FreeBSD server.

Syncthing on FreeBSD
https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/syncthing-on-freebsd/

If you haven’t heard about it yet I will cite the Syncthing https://syncthing.net/ site. “Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it’s transmitted over the Internet.” … and Wikipedia “Syncthing is a free, open-source peer-to-peer file synchronization application available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Solaris, Darwin, and BSD. It can sync files between devices on a local network, or between remote devices over the Internet. Data security and data safety are built into the design of the software.”

Regards.

Last edited:
Initially I wanted – similarly like with Nextcloud on FreeBSD – to setup everything in a FreeBSD Jail. The problem is Syncthing does not work in a FreeBSD Jails virtualization as I figured out after several hours of trying to find out what is wrong.

I had been running Syncthing in jail before I migrated to NextCloud

Thanks for comments, I have also heard that lots of people run it successfully in a Jail so I will be digging that topic deeper.

vermaden, may I suggest to include a brief description -- just a few sentences -- about what respective piece of software does, when you announce your HOWTOs? Adding a handful of keywords might also help if someone is using forums' Search. That aside, keep up the good work!

vermaden, may I suggest to include a brief description -- just a few sentences -- about what respective piece of software does, when you announce your HOWTOs? Adding a handful of keywords might also help if someone is using forums' Search. That aside, keep up the good work!
You mean what Syncthing does as I described in the first post now?

Back