Installing Google Chrome on FreeBSD

Is there a way to install Google Chrome (not Chromium) on FreeBSD? I need to attend a lot of meetings via WebEx which does not seem to work with Firefox and the Cisco WebEx Extension. I thought I could try it with Chrome since that seems to work on my Ubuntu machine. I couldn't find any packages or ports for Chrome.

Thanks!

Have you tried changing the user agent to something it is known to support?
Sorry for the delayed response. I did try setting both general.useragent.override and general.useragent.overridepreference to Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.181 Safari/537.36 but neither worked.

I suspect the problem is more likely that WebEx doesn't support FreeBSD. Even the Linux version of WebEx doesn't have full feature support: https://www.webex.co.uk/support/support-system-requirements.html
I see this link stating
Code:
Linux support
WebEx will support any Linux distribution as long as it meets the following minimum requirements:
Kernel: 2.6 or later
Have you tried running the Chrome for Linux on FreeBSD using Linux ABI?

I have tried running the Linux version of Google Chrome on FreeBSD. Even after manually installing the CentOS libraries not provided by the linux-c7 package which Chrome requires, it still doesn't run. I suspect there are deficiencies in FreeBSD's Linux emulation which must be resolved before the Linux version of Google Chrome will run on FreeBSD.

One thing I've not tried yet is installing the binary plugins from the Linux version of Google Chrome for use with the natively compiled Chromium on FreeBSD. But that may be a path worth exploring.

PaddyMac Chromium, by itself, is a huge complicated beast that FreeBSD devs have trouble wrangling. Adding Google's code to it, that makes it Chrome, complicates it even further and Google is never any help. Then it changes three months later.

OpenBSD seem to suggest that Chrome (chromium) is better structured code than Firefox. In 6.4 (-current) they've included unveil ... which I believe adds pledge like controls for Chrome (which limits what programs can see/do in memory (unveil is for filesystem access controls)). Trying that along with a google block /etc/hosts file entries as per the Answers section hosts file additions in this post https://superuser.com/questions/1135339/cant-block-connections-to-google-via-hosts-file, in addition to https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts host file entries, and it's really quick. For instance yahoo news pages that previously dragged for me, load/show quickly.

Not to bring life to a dead thread, but in case someone has run into this issue... I just wanted to note my fix for this:

Most of the "this is not supported in your browser" messages generated by corporate/enterprise targeted web applications are in relation to the user agent string presented by chrome or firefox. I just add "Chrome UA Spoofer" to my plugins in chromium. Then I set the useragent to the relevant "linux" version of the install. This tells the server, just pretend I'm coming from a supported linux in xorg host and quit complaining that my useragent says "FreeBSD"

My current useragent as follows:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.79 Safari/537.36

This works for everything I use on a regular basis for enterprise web apps... except for sadly google earth. Notable applications that this has alleviated most of my frustrations with:

Webex Teams (Previously Cisco Spark)
Webex Meetings
Microsoft Office 365 Web Applications
Hotmail (live.com/outlook.com)
Sharepoint
Citrix Portal
Zoom Video
Gotomeeting

Also, specific to webex, I believe there is a Webex plugin for Chrome in the "Chrome Web Store"

Not to bring life to a dead thread, but in case someone has run into this issue... I just wanted to note my fix for this:

Most of the "this is not supported in your browser" messages generated by corporate/enterprise targeted web applications are in relation to the user agent string presented by chrome or firefox. I just add "Chrome UA Spoofer" to my plugins in chromium. Then I set the useragent to the relevant "linux" version of the install. This tells the server, just pretend I'm coming from a supported linux in xorg host and quit complaining that my useragent says "FreeBSD"

My current useragent as follows:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.79 Safari/537.36

This works for everything I use on a regular basis for enterprise web apps... except for sadly google earth. Notable applications that this has alleviated most of my frustrations with:

Webex Teams (Previously Cisco Spark)
Webex Meetings
Microsoft Office 365 Web Applications
Hotmail (live.com/outlook.com)
Sharepoint
Citrix Portal
Zoom Video
Gotomeeting

Also, specific to webex, I believe there is a Webex plugin for Chrome in the "Chrome Web Store"
thanks for the heads up on this workaround!
with regard to plugins for UA spoofing in Chrome, be sure to read the privacy policy as some collect user data.
User-Agent Switcher doesn't collect data.
cheers

In case web searches bring people to this thread, note that there is now a how to for using chrome for those things that chromium can't do.
This is for brave, but has links to the author's chrome howto.

Back