Default baud rate

Presumably there is a default baud rate for every com port defined on a system. How can you tell what it is and how do you change it?

I know that cu -l /devcuaU0 -s 115200 sets the speed to 115200, but once cu stops, doesn't it go back to the default?

There is no default.

Speed isn't a specific hardware setting but mostly the software which sets everything up. Back in the days I had an external 2400 baud modem and eventually replaced it with a cool 14.k4 modem. All I did was replace the modem, I used the exact same serial cables. That would be impossible if there was a hardware defined speed or limitation.

Today it's mostly the OS which defines a standard for the serial ports but that doesn't make it 'the' standard. There really is none. I am aware that many pick 9600 baud as a solid middle ground.

In the end it depends on what settings you use.

Just found this interesting tidbit....

Code:
# stty -f /dev/ttyu5.lock 57600

How do I see what it is currently set to? I presumed that that the ttyu5.init file would have some initialisation settings but have no idea how to read the files in the /dev directory.

Just found this interesting tidbit....

Code:
# stty -f /dev/ttyu5.lock 57600

How do I see what it is currently set to? I presumed that that the ttyu5.init file would have some initialisation settings but have no idea how to read the files in the /dev directory.

The link to your interesting tidbit in the Handbook tells you that too :)

The link to your interesting tidbit in the Handbook tells you that too :)
After further reading, I'm not sure that what it says is correct...

stty -a -f /dev/cuaU0 show the current settings for /dev/cuaU0. ie:-
Code:
speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
    -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
    -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
    brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl tab0 -onocr -onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
    -dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
    eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; erase2 = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
    lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
    status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
However, running stty -f /dev/cuaU0.lock 57600 does not seem to change the speed since running the previous command shows the speed remains the same as it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back