network woes: arp: ww.xx.yy.zz moved from ...

Greetings,
A couple yrs ago I switched to using a cable modem for my upstream to the internet at home. My home
net consists of ~6-8 computers behind a 16 port unmanaged gigabit switch (tp-link TL-SG1016D). I got
a block of 9 static IP's from the cable co. They're all assigned to the comps behind the switch, and 1 to
the cable modem. But I'm always seeing the following in /var/messages
ww.xx.yy.zz moved from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx to yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy on <nic driver name><device number>
I might expect this from a router; given the IP's are technically assigned to the cable modem. But
not from a switch.
What's wrong? Should I add staticarp? How can I better diagnose why?

Thanks!

--Chris

I have some idea, but please post the exact messages (understanding that you want to mask off the IP numbers for security reasons)...and are you seeing the MAC reassign message on every station attached to the switch? Does the /var/messages have the complete list of reassignments on each machine, or only the reassignment for the local NIC?

Keep in mind that in the unmanaged switch there really isn't any such thing as "behind the switch" as each port has equal standing in that configuration.

I have some idea, but please post the exact messages (understanding that you want to mask off the IP numbers for security reasons)...and are you seeing the MAC reassign message on every station attached to the switch? Does the /var/messages have the complete list of reassignments on each machine, or only the reassignment for the local NIC?

Keep in mind that in the unmanaged switch there really isn't any such thing as "behind the switch" as each port has equal standing in that configuration.
Thanks tempest766 , for the reply!
I don't understand what you're asking? Yes. The MAC is being moved. In fact this repeats in
the other computers /var/messages, as well. All of the computers NIC's "move".
I don't recall seeing this with "managed" switches.
I can't tell for sure. But it appears that the switch is adobting their MAC. Because the only one of the
MAC's I don't recognize is reportedly "Casa Systems Inc.". So apparently TP-LINK is using their stuff.

Thanks again, tempest766

IIRC this might happen with Wake-on-LAN, where router adopts MAC addresses of devices going into sleep mode, later waking them up with a magic packet. Or, if those IPs are public, your ISP might want to account all traffic, even between devices behind your cable modem, when modem is acting as a bridge, not as a router (my ISP does that for ETTH).

Another thing to look out for is machines with multiple NICs (example: both wired and wireless). If both NICs are active at the same time, you will see those messages on FreeBSD machines connected to the same LAN. And in that situation, those messages are harmless.

OK. I probably will fail miserably in explaining this...but...here goes. Unmanaged switches have no concept of routing IP, whereas managed switches have "some" IP routing capabilities. Ethernet (not IP) is a next hop topology. to send a message on an ethernet the two stations learn about each others MAC addresses and send traffic directly to the MAC of the receiving station in the "next hop". This is the purpose of ARP. What you are seeing is expected. Each port on the switch also has a MAC address and the switch has a cache of MACs that are connected to the ports. What is going on is essentially the propogation of that MAC cache to the individual stations since they cannot directly see the MAC on another port of the switch. If it works, ignore it. It is expected behaviour for your configuration.

Let me rephrase this a little better. Without seeing your configuration I cannot be sure, but I'm guessing that what is happening is that the individual stations are changing their own MAC to match the MAC of the switch port to which they are plugged in. This allow the station on the other end in the next hop to have a direct address for each connected machine.

OK. I probably will fail miserably in explaining this...but...here goes. Unmanaged switches have no concept of routing IP, whereas managed switches have "some" IP routing capabilities. Ethernet (not IP) is a next hop topology. to send a message on an ethernet the two stations learn about each others MAC addresses and send traffic directly to the MAC of the receiving station in the "next hop". This is the purpose of ARP. What you are seeing is expected. Each port on the switch also has a MAC address and the switch has a cache of MACs that are connected to the ports. What is going on is essentially the propogation of that MAC cache to the individual stations since they cannot directly see the MAC on another port of the switch. If it works, ignore it. It is expected behaviour for your configuration.

Let me rephrase this a little better. Without seeing your configuration I cannot be sure, but I'm guessing that what is happening is that the individual stations are changing their own MAC to match the MAC of the switch port to which they are plugged in. This allow the station on the other end in the next hop to have a direct address for each connected machine.
Thanks for the reply tempest766 !
OK. I probably will fail miserably in explaining this...but...here goes.
On the contrary; you did an excellent job. :)
...and fairly well concurs with my current understanding. I only became concerned; in that I hadn't experienced these "messages" previously, and even then; I wasn't terribly concerned, in that the network just seemed to work. I'm only now investigating. Because I'm experiencing some "anomalies"; in that my email from the many FreeBSD lists I'm subscribed to, are coming in irradically. So I thought it time to get a conclusive reason for the messages.
If it matters:
Code:
arp: ww.xx.yy.bb moved from 00:13:3b:0f:13:45 to 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.dd moved from 00:30:67:5e:29:5d to 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.ee moved from 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 to 00:24:81:ce:ba:87 on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.cc moved from 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 to 00:13:3b:0f:13:44 on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.ee moved from 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 to 00:24:81:ce:ba:87 on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.cc moved from 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 to 00:13:3b:0f:13:44 on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.bb moved from 00:13:3b:0f:13:45 to 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.dd moved from 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 to 00:30:67:5e:29:5d on re0
arp: ww.xx.yy.cc moved from 00:13:3b:0f:13:44 to 00:17:10:8e:0d:07 on re0
where re0 would be ww.xx.yy.aa
and where the ww.xx.yy range is from aa-ii
TOPOLOGY:
Code:
port #1 ==> cablemodem
port #2-9 ==> each of the CPU's
while pf(4) runs on all of the CPU's (computers), with the exception of one. They
all only have blocking tables. The other one, is used for (build) jails, and has the additional
entry to accommodate having cloned lo1 to permit the downloading of the src, and ports trees.
I should add, that the messages still occurred even prior to the cloning of lo1.

Thanks again, tempest766 !

--Chris

Hello VladiBG , and thanks for the reply!
It's a docsys 3 based modem, and as a result, the "access" to much of the configuration is
fairly limited. I seem to remember having a web based GUI "setup", and possibly telnet(1) access
when I initially set it up.
Why do you ask?

Thanks again, VladiBG !
--Chris

I'm asking you because your Casa System modem behaves strangely. Do you know how your IP address block is routed? Normally the network mask is either 255.255.255.240 for providing of 14 hosts or 255.255.255.248 for 6 hosts. That's why i'm curious how your router is configured to provide 9 hosts and what is your network mask on your computers.

Can you show how your subnet is configured and what is the default gateway that you are using (you can hide the first 3 octets of your IP addresses).

for example:

subnet: 192.168.1.0/28
netmask: 255.255.255.240
hosts: 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.14
broadcast: 192.168.1.15

Well. It's supposed to be:
Code:
ww.xx.yy.a1
ww.xx.yy.a2
ww.xx.yy.a3
ww.xx.yy.a4
ww.xx.yy.a5
ww.xx.yy.a6
ww.xx.yy.a7
ww.xx.yy.a8
GATEWAY:
ww.xx.yy.1
and yes I guess that'd be 8 (assignable) IP's. I guess my mind added the GW. Looking
closer, just now, revealed 8+GW=9 :)
Thanks, VladiBG !
--Chris

So you are in the same network with another 254 hosts. Are you the only one connected behind the cable modem?
Is your IP address range public or private?

Are you using DHCP? If some computer is changing his IP address and overlap with another computer with static address it may show you this error. Usually this shouldn't happen because the DHCP server fist check if the address is free.

Are you using DHCP? If some computer is changing his IP address and overlap with another computer with static address it may show you this error. Usually this shouldn't happen because the DHCP server fist check if the address is free.
I'm leasing a (contiguous) block of static IP's. So DHCP shouldn't figure into the equation.

Thanks for the reply, VladiBG !

--Chris

Well the only possible ways that you are receiving this warning messages regarding arp moving are:
1. Overlapping two DHCP servers in the same network.
2. Overlapping a static IP address with DHCP pool
3. Computer with the two NICs with the same IP address on both NICs (like a WiFi and Ethernet with the same IP)
4. You have two devices with the same IP address
5. Arp poisoning attack from bad user

The way that you can future investigate the problem is to check the MAC address of your device and verify which two are conflicting. You can do this by using Mac Address Lookup to identify the vendor of the device to help you to identify the device that is making the problem.

Thatks, VladiBG , for your diligence on this!
Well the only possible ways that you are receiving this warning messages regarding arp moving are:
1. Overlapping two DHCP servers in the same network.
2. Overlapping a static IP address with DHCP pool
3. Computer with the two NICs with the same IP address on both NICs (like a WiFi and Ethernet with the same IP)
4. You have two devices with the same IP address
5. Arp poisoning attack from bad user
The way that you can future investigate the problem is to check the MAC address of your device and verify which two are conflicting. You can do this by using Mac Address Lookup to identify the vendor of the device to help you to identify the device that is making the problem.
I used this method. I've checked all the NET related entries in rc.conf(5) on all of the machines, as well as all of the DNS zones, and (DNS) configurations. But there is no overlap. As to (bad) user ARP poisoning; tho a valid point, is highly unlikely. Given that I encountered the ARP announcements almost immediately. So I'm left, I think, with a possible hardware problem. I'm going to take a closer look at a HUB (wireless/4port) I have plugged into one of the ports on the switch, as a potential candidate. While it does run DHCP for the clients connected to it. It has a static IP, and the DHCP is for internal IP's within it. The only other possibility I can conceive; is a 2 port PCIe NIC I have in one of the boxes ( re(4) ). Which has 2 static IP's attached to it. FreeBSD supports the card well, and dmesg(8), and ifconfig(8) indicate the card is working (behaving) as intended.

Thanks a million, VladiBG , for all your valuable input!

--Chris

Back