KDE Showing Black Screen

Noob here, I started out using packages to install FreeBSD/XWindows/KDE via the FreeBSD handbook. I got stuck so I followed another tutorial ( https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...-set-up-a-freebsd-desktop-from-scratch.61659/ ) using ports. Right away when I first ran FreeBSD the video was off so I changed rc.conf to kern.vty=sc to fix it and haven't changed it. I stuck with the tutorial using ports until I came to the section for a Windows Manager, they were using Fluxbox and I wanted to use KDE so I skipped back too the FreeBSD handbook. I changed fstab and rc.conf to launch KDE. That didn't work so I changed xinitrc so startx would launch KDE. When I type startx to load KDE I get a blank screen. When I looked at xorg.conf to configure it for desktop effects it was the only file in the directory and it was blank, so I didn't enter all of the data. I wasn't able to get Compiz Fusion installed either since the installation only coverers using packages, not ports.

Feeling a little stuck especially after spending severals days building it using ports. Next time if I use ports I'm going to put something heavy on the enter key. Thanks in advance!

What videocard does the system have and what version of FreeBSD are you using?

I suggest starting here: 5.4. Xorg Configuration and make sure Xorg is configured and working. Then you can move to things like KDE.

You need to make sure your foundation is in order before you can build a house on top of it.

I have an old Asus desktop, CM5570 with integrated graphics, Intel GMA X4500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0. I just pasted that from the manual.

Would it be easier to run PC-BSD / TrueOS? I don't really need to know all of the ins and outs of how stuff works. I mean I love to learn this stuff but sometimes installing something easy is nice so I don't spend day after day trying to figure it out.

Having problems with Windows is why I started using Ubuntu. It's not Windows which is nice, I don't understand everything about it but it gives me a warm fuzzy that I have a backup system when I have Windows problems. That's how I got interested in using Unix since it's more 'Merica!

The thing about FreeBSD is that it requires you to do a lot of work installing and configuring things. In your case it might be easier to start with TrueOS, it pretty much comes completely configured out-of-the-box.

I think I'm going to give it a shot, I'm exhausted with freebsd/xwindows/kde. I started a week ago on and off. I'm not a programmer or a system administrator, just a hack! Thanks for the direction.

I experienced black screen result from plasma desktop coredump with xorg ati driver. Once I change to use Xorg's modesetting driver, I can enjoy Plasma Desktop without any problem.

My old Acer laptop uses ATI 4200. I follow vermaden ‘s tip to change:

include KMS driver for ATI 4200 in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="radeonkms"

change to use Xorg modesetting driver /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/your-xorg-device
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Option          "DPMS"
        Driver          "modesetting"
EndSection

Back