Which games could I play in this platform?

That has to do with number of posts by a user, than anything else, IIRC.

So, let me understand what this is about: if I make a post explaining how to give permissions to an user who isn't root, using this info, I obtain points that will let me ascend in range?

The second: you know a lot of things
As I said, that's blasphemy on such a forum. Trust me when I state that If you'll be eager to read documentation and stay with FreeBSD in a year you''ll know about Unix as much as I do ;).

how old are you in this site, because I guess that you need to have a lot of years of participation here.

I'm ~1 year old on the forums, subscribed around march IIRC, but have been using FreeBSD/NetBSD on desktop for around 5 years now (OpenSolaris before it for some years) and used to systematically checking the forums already. Having been quite active meanwhile, especially on the desktop/new-user side, since is something I kind of like and want to encourage

So, let me understand what this is about: if I make a post explaining how to give permissions to an user who isn't root, using this info, I obtain points that will let me ascend in range?
I think it's also about thanks received, but can't grant that...either way, exactly, if you're active on forums you ascend range, and that's generally a common practice on online fora, mostly driven by the necessity to quickly identify trustworthy users (in a sea of potential trolls, bots, competence-lacking, second nicks). Nonetheless, still many pro users/developers are just 'new members/members' here.

Sensucht94 I got it.
Anyways, I'm not interested in ascend from one day to another without knowing almost nothing.
My name is because, in the moment, I didn't know almost nothing of this system. Until now I don't know too much. But even if I know ALL about this OS, still I will being considering myself as apprentice.
I put the knowing of whatever area, in a different level. Isaac Asimov told something that some people wants know to have power, while others only want it for the pleasure of know.
I want to know. Not to teach. If I know TOO much (believe me that when I'm saying this, is really too much), maybe I can consider the idea of teach and help. Meanwhile, I'm only apprentice. Not a noob, nor an idiot. Just someone that want to learn.

you explain it very well,and finally, you're friendly.

That is probably related to my job, which requires also explaining complicated things in simple words to people who'd lack the basics to understand those things thouroughly otherwise, while being as friendly as you can. In my world, 'the costumer' is necessarily on the right side most of the times. But that's another story ;)

In fact, this isn't my area. That's the reason why I'm asking so much.
I'm studying electro-mechanics. Another arm of the body of technology, another branch in the tree of knowing technologic.
I decided to study this, then electronic-informatic, then some biologic, and then going to study some of bio-technology. And maybe some of mechanic-cuantic, or nano-technology.
I know what you're thinking: this guy must be crazy. But no. I'm fine. In fact, I appreciate all the kinds of knowings that exists. Since how to make your own dinner, to know how to make a satelite. I'm not kidding.

I think it's also about thanks received, but can't grant that...either way, exactly, if you're active on forums you ascend range, and that's generally a common practice on online fora, mostly driven by the necessity to quickly identify trustworthy users (in a sea of potential trolls, bots, competence-lacking, second nicks). Nonetheless, still many pro users/developers are just 'new members/members' here.

Every so many posts grants another automatic title, like at 100 posts, 500 posts, 1,000 posts, etc... Number of thanks has less to do with that. I think there is a setting where the user can enter a customized title as well.

Every so many posts grants another automatic title, like at 100 posts, 500 posts, 1,000 posts, etc... I think there is a setting where the user can enter a customized title as well. Thanks has less to do with that.
Then if I disarm a kernel, and study its components, and post how it works from inside, then I post it: I will not be doing something great?
Give me the tools, teach me how to use them, and I'll do.
I'm not kidding.

That is probably related to my job, which requires also explaining complicated things in simple words to people who'd lack the basics to understand those things thouroughly otherwise, while being as friendly as you can. In my world, 'the costumer' is necessarily on the right side most of the times. But that's another story ;)
That's what exactly I'll try to do in my channel of YT.
I learned a lot of things from there.
For now, I'm only doing gameplays.
But when I have a solid knowing of the things I know, then there comes the big thing....

I f you run GNOME just press ALT-F2 and write rocksndiamonds and it works. I think on the KDE is the same.
Haha :D
Thanks. I didn't remember that keyboard shortcut.
Another suggestion of game? But not only a mini game, but a game of shoots.

fernandel
I'll see if I can play Warframe. Maybe I upload a gameplay, or just play it for remind old times.
When I used to have Windows 8, it runs very well.
I don't mean that I miss it. I miss the game, not the platform ;)

This is what I use to blow off some steam.
games/openarena/
This game needs the data of the original, or I just need to install and play it?
Edit 2: There's a problem. When I launch the game, it continuously show this message:
Code:
 UL_SetActiveMenu: bad enum 163788872
Edit 3: There was no problem installing it from the ports. I used
Code:
 make.

Phishfry
Still I cannot play it. When I launch it, the message that the console shows:
Code:
 UI_SetActiveMenu: bad enum 163788872
Why the hell this happens?
Also, I can't make anything. I need to open a "login terminal" and kill the process of the program.

No need to shout or swear. We can read just fine.
Thanks dude. But now I'm really happy :)
I'll give you a good new: I'm writing a kind of tutorial in which I explain step by step how to do it.
It isn't for "pro-users" nor "advanced users". It's specially for noobs and people who recently begin to use this OS and have the same trouble.

Crivens
Now you can take a look at it ;)
I know it's very basic, but it maybe can be helpful for someone.
Edit: I'll be posting every discover or translation, either a tutorial of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone manage to make work warcraft2 with wargus ?
i run wartool /media/WARCRAFT2/data /usr/local/share/wargus/
Code:
Detected UK/Australian original DOS CD
Extract from "/media/WARCRAFT2/data" to "/usr/local/share/wargus/"
Please be patient, the data may take a couple of minutes to extract...
Archive "/media/WARCRAFT2/data/rezdat.war"
Archive "/media/WARCRAFT2/data/strdat.war"
Archive "/media/WARCRAFT2/data/maindat.war"
Ignore entry 25 in archive (invalid uncompressed length)
Ignore entry 32 in archive (invalid uncompressed length)
Ignore entry 68 in archive (invalid uncompressed length)
Ignore entry 431 in archive (invalid uncompressed length)
Ignore entry 437 in archive (invalid offset)
Archive "/media/WARCRAFT2/data/sfxdat.sud"
Archive "/media/WARCRAFT2/data/rezdat.war"
Archive "/media/WARCRAFT2/data/snddat.war"
Ignore entry 46 in archive (invalid uncompressed length)
Archive "/media/WARCRAFT2/data/muddat.cud"
Done.

then run wargus
amd got
error.jpg

Hey BSDAppentic3,

I'm gonna reply to some of your questions:

1. FreeBSD is a great platform for gaming. Games will run better and faster even on older hardware than on Windows. E.g., I have played Crysis at 1680x1050 and all settings on high on my Athlon X2 64 6400+ with Geforce GTX 750 without a problem. Borderlands also runs fine. Wine is your friend. Just install it by doing pkg install i386-wine or pkg install i386-wine-devel for the latest version. Refer to winehq.com to find out what games are supported and what tweaks may need to be applied with winetricks.

2. To find out how to run a program after installing it, do a pkg info -l <name of package>. Look at the top of the list, the binary you would have to execute will show in a path like /usr/local/bin/<name of program>

3. Your initial question about HL2 etc: All source engine games run fine with wine. Just install Steam for windows with wine and you are good to go. Once installed, execute wine Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox so that images and videos in the steam browser can be displayed.

To all the other game experts here: Could you please help me out with my problem with linux games I posted here a few days ago?

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/cannot-play-any-linux-games-anymore-for-about-a-year-now.65586/

We could post the solution in this thread, too.

Games will run better and faster even on older hardware than on Windows. E.g., I have played Crysis at 1680x1050 and all settings on high on my Athlon X2 64 6400+ with Geforce GTX 750 without a problem. Borderlands also runs fine. Wine is your friend.

Definitely not faster, wined3d has quite a bit of overhead.

There is an expansion pack on the OpenArena website adding more levels.

Unfortunately games/openarena currently has no maintainer ; I started experiencing cursor jumps with the last few nvidia driver updates and the thing is getting worse with the passing of time, to the point in my case it's becoming unusable. A pity, since it arguably was the best game to play on FreeBSD and a true success in the open source gaming environment: I used to host an openarena-server too on FreeBSD. The OpenArena thing is making me want to study more sh scripting, the porter handbook, and make(1), just to to

attempt maintaining it myself. Nonetheless there are other good games to play

anyone manage to make work warcraft2 with wargus ?

Wargus is really picky, so is Warcraft 2 (if you run it on DOS, it won't allow you to mount the ISO as CD, it wants the real thing to be found is a drive node created by MSCDEX). Anyway, from your wartool I'm guessing you own an incompatible version (like the one from Blizzard which is significantly smaller). You need the original floppy disk with the DOS version, in my case, it worked ;)

Otherwise, play Warcraft2 on emulators/dosbox, in case you had any doubt on how to use it, just send me a PM

I used to host an openarena-server too on FreeBSD. The OpenArena thing is making me want to study more sh scripting, the porter handbook, and make(1), just to to

attempt maintaining it myself.
Go ahead ;)
Do it ;)
How old are you? Nevermind because all the days we can learn something new. The age doesn't matter: always when you are the necessary, you can do it.

Go ahead ;)
Do it ;)
How old are you? Nevermind because all the days we can learn something new. The age doesn't matter: always when you are the necessary, you can do it.

I'm 23, but have a completely unrelated degree to undertake and 'time is gold' , as it's used to tell in my country ;) ; however the porter's handbook is definitely something in schedule

I'm 23, but have a completely unrelated degree to undertake and 'time is gold' , as it's used to tell in my country ;) ; however the porter's handbook is definitely something in schedule
Time it's important. Which country you're from? Italy?

Back