Finally RELEASE on aarch64?

S

Sensucht94

Today I went downloading a FreeBSD CURRENT snapshot, when I was caught by an aarch64 ftp mirror being listed under FreeBSD 11.1 RELEASE, and couldn't believe my own eyes. Is this for real (I assume so)? Since when?

Awesome work, I'm sincerely thankful to everyone who contributed achieving this; going to try it the sooner the better and looking forward to hearing other users' feedback on the topic

The aarch64 port works well for me under emulation. However as usual I find it very hard to find an affordable and reliable company to purchase non-Intel hardware from. Either they are extremely expensive, kids dreaming on kickstarter or have simply gone bankrupt by the end of the week.

It may just be my setup but I couldn't get tmux or screen to work for me. Other than that, it is literally like I am using a standard Intel machine for development. This pretty much means that the FreeBSD team have done a fantastic job at breaching the ARM64 threshold. Something Microsoft certainly failed with Windows RT :).

The aarch64 image on FreeBSD has been around since FreeBSD 11.0.

well, I must be blind:rolleyes:. I've run 12 CURRENT on Rpi3, it was great, but finally got tired of cross-compiling, and switched to Void Linux-musl, as I don't do developement, nor have any interest or skill in coding; just need an easy to use binary
package management for a Rpi3 server. I've been somehow ignoring that aarch64 link under RELEASE for along time, and yesterday I wrongly assumed time had come to put FreeBSD back on my Rpi3 and use pkg; well,I'll be waiting some more

There are only limited platforms that run it.
Cavium ThunderX is what the build box uses.

https://www.bsdcan.org/2016/schedule/events/692.en.html

Now the RPi3, an aarch64 platform board is not supported on FreeBSD 11.x and never will be. Only on FreeBSD>11
https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64

Would you mind quickly explaining me why FreeBSD 11 wouldn't work on Rpi3?

I really don't know the particulars. I just read the comments on the arm mailing list.
Maybe the developer didn't want to backport the work. I really dunno. Pi3 has been a work in progress.
When crochet first came out with a crochet board file for RPi3 it was only available with a uni-processor kernel.
SMP kernel was added later. So there has been continual progress.
Pine 64 is in the same boat. aarch64 but custom build needed.

Today I went downloading a FreeBSD CURRENT snapshot, when I was caught by an aarch64 ftp mirror being listed under FreeBSD 11.1 RELEASE, and couldn't believe my own eyes. Is this for real (I assume so)? Since when?
It's not "official", aarch64 is still at Tier 2. There's work being done to get it to a Tier 1 status, hence the various "test" releases.

Goes to show you that community maintained software and Operating systems are IMHO far getter than the Proprietary (walled garden) architecture plat forms from veneers like Microsoft and Apple.

Surely we're talking about the two extreme ends of the aarch64 platform (ThunderX vs Rpi). The <200w of power-sipping by the former might be tempting except for the fact that it'd cost about as much as my last pickup truck purchase. But boy - could it ever make Wordpress fly!

Does anybody on this thread actually have one of these?

Does anybody on this thread actually have one of these?

Unfortunately not. I find it so hard to obtain non-Intel hardware. If the single vendor, Broadcom had not re-purposed their old ARM chips to create the Raspberry Pi for kids education (almost as a skunkworks / experimental project), it would have pretty much been impossible for the vast majority of us to even experience an "open" ARMv6 platform.

Something isn't right here.

Back