Mount cloud storage locally

After some poking around the web and the ports tree, I've found a few applications which may fit the bill. I will update this post if I find more.

Below I have written the on-line cloud storage service, and the application connected to it:

- Amazon s3 - sysutils/fusefs-s3fs - mount locally
- Google Drive - net/grive - sync tool, not local mounting
- OwnCloud - net/owncloud-csync - syncing tool
- WebDAV-based storage - sysutils/fusefs-wdfs - locally mounted
- WebDAV-based storage - www/cadaver - more like an FTP client
- Amazon s3 = net/py-s3cmd - Another local client.

Or you could make your own encrypted, open-source dropbox, using net/unison-nox11 and sysutils/fusefs-encfs and this guide.

Also found the following, but I believe they are not yet available for FreeBSD:

- GoogleDrive - http://gdfuse.forge.ocamlcore.org/
- WebDAV based storage -davfs2]
- Google Drive - Insync
- Box.com - boxfs FUSE filesystem
- Box.com WebDAV via Nautilus
- Amazon s3 - s3fs-c
- Amazon s3 - Panic - Transmit

These last ones are not really locally mounted cloud storage, but they seem to be useful for file / device synchronisation:

BitTorrent Sync. Downloads here (i386) and here (x64).
git-annex
lsyncd
Unison - net/unison-nox11, or net/unison
Tarsnap - a paid backup service that looks pretty sweet.

One more to add is Camlistore, an open source alternative to cloud storage services like Google Drive.

Last release notes 0.3, codename "Glebe":
  • eight new contributors
  • read/write FUSE support
  • publishing handler supports serving zip files of contents
  • start of OS X status bar/launcher
  • better SQLite3 detection
  • start of the portable "devcam" tool, removing dependencies on the shell and Perl to build and test.
  • UI tweaks and additions
  • bug fixes
  • update PostgreSQL driver
  • fix compilation on FreeBSD
  • more developer docs

Remote access, local mount points

If I host a Nextcloud instance at home, then for remote access am I more likely to find things reliable and consistent with SMB/CIFS, or with WebDAV?

All things considered, I assume that WebDAV will be preferred but I'd like to hear from anyone who has prior experience with mount-based approaches to files served by Nextcloud (or ownCloud).

If it helps:
  • I have 'Fibre Large' broadband from TalkTalk
  • my preferred file managers are shown in post 4 under KDE4 Mounting network shares and accessing them from apps – tl;dr questioning whether Dolphin causes some applications to behave strangely with SMB (relatively late sync-like behaviour, instead of timely saves to the file server).
Sync

deskutils/owncloudclient – an accepted solution at Sync client for FreeBSD? - support - Nextcloud community

Related

Accessing Nextcloud Files Using WebDAV — Nextcloud 9 User Manual 9 documentation

On GitHub for nextcloud/server:
www/nextcloud
www/owncloud

Back