Memstick installation failure error 19 - on APU2c4

I'm trying to install 10.3 using FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img on a PC Engines APU2C4 embedded system. Install medium is an external USB3 flash drive. I'm trying to install to the system's m-SATA SSD. It's a headless setup, serial port only: all done through from a terminal via a serial cable. Here's what I'm getting - snipped:

Code:
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 998147533 Hz quality 1000
Root mount waiting for: usbus1 usbus0
uhub0: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered
uhub1: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
ugen1.2: <vendor 0x0438> at usbus1
uhub2: <vendor 0x0438 product 0x7900, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.18, addr 2> on usbus1
uhub2: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x8564> at usbus0
umass0: <vendor 0x8564 product 0x1000, class 0/0, rev 2.00/11.00, addr 1> on usbus0
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x8100
umass0:2:0:-1: Attached to scbus2
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install [ro,noatime]...
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install ...
Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install failed with error 19.
It then exits drops to the mountroot prompt.

Wondering if anyone's experienced this is what the fix is. Many thanks.

Thanks. Can you give me some pointers for how to open up, then edit, the install image? I'm using macOS & it doesn't recognize the file system on the memstick.

EDIT: I also tried mounting the memstick in Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) - still no luck.

Hie Morris Minor, and to you all.

Well, you may try the following. It is an idea I have. Frankly, I have not tried it before.
1. Get an ISO version
2. Go to your Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) and extract it, say to a folder FreeBSD-11.0-TRY
3. Now in that folder, go and edit FreeBSD-11.0-TRY/boot/loader.conf as suggested by Phishfry above
Get a tool that can compress the new folder into a format of your choice eg .iso or .img
5. Write it to your device, eg using dd like you say on a memstick

By luck it may work out. Like I said, I have not used this before. From your question it looks a possible solution. Let us know how it goes.

I mounted and edited mine on a FreeBSD installation.
It looks like a disk problem anyway. But once again to resolve you must edit /boot/loader.conf.
Also note the file does not exist on a stock install. You must create the file. I would add all the entries needed for both disk and console.

I do believe that on bootup you can drop to a loader prompt and manually enter the settings. Then when your install is done it asks if you would like to do post-install shell. Pick yes and type ee /boot/loader.conf and enter your settings and save.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58273/

Success. I mounted the memstick in a FreeBSD server and appended the following to /boot/loader.conf.
It also helped to use a new and higher quality usb3 flashdrive.
Code:
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
comconsole_speed="115200"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"
kern.cam.boot_delay="10000"
I'd been on the point of burning the ISO version to an old-fashioned DVD-ROM and trying using that via an external USB DVD-ROM drive. But the above did the trick.
Thanks for all your help.

Thank you very much for these informations.

I just did a new install and this is a curse.

I am still running Debian on my laptop, so no possibility to modify the installer.

So I plug the USB key into the server and then type "3" blind, followed by:
set boot[B]_[/B]multicons
set boot_serial
set comconsole_speed=115200
set console=comconsole
set console=vidconsole
set kern.cam.boot_delay=10000
boot

Debian does not provide a serial console installer, so I did mine:
https://github.com/ffries/Debian-installer-with-serial-console

Couldn't you provide a serial console installer with /boot/loader.conf set?
If you dont' plan to do that, I will do it myself.

Yes you are right the loader commands were slightly off. Setting up an APU2 now.
Code:
set boot_multicons=YES
set boot_serial=YES
set comconsole_speed=115200
set console=comconsole,vidconsole
boot

Back