Can't create display:1 for x11vnc by kdm+X (multiuser logins)

I have installed from packages KDM+Xorg:

Code:
1041  -  I     0:00,01 /usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon ttyv8
1043  -  S     0:03,26 /usr/local/bin/X -br -novtswitch -quiet :0 -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-oKzkQb (Xorg)
1052  -  Is    0:02,54 /usr/local/sbin/hald
1054  -  I     0:00,03 /usr/local/sbin/console-kit-daemon --no-daemon
1057  -  I     0:00,02 /usr/local/libexec/polkitd --no-debug
1058  -  I     0:00,05 hald-runner
1063  -  I     0:00,04 hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse: /dev/psm0 (hald-addon-mouse-sy)
1092  -  S     0:00,21 hald-addon-storage: /dev/cd0 (hald-addon-storage)
1155  -  I     0:00,01 kdm: :0 (kdm)
1156  -  I     0:02,11 /usr/local/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet

I need to create remote desktops for two users, and I installed net/x11vnc and started it as:
/usr/local/bin/x11vnc -auth guess -dontdisconnect -display :0 -noxfixes -shared -forever -rfbport 5900 -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -rfbauth /home/user1/.x11vnc/passwd
It works as well.

When I have tried the same for the display :1 and rfbport 5901, I have received:
Code:
-auth guess: failed for display=':1'

I have thought, that in system there is no display:1 and has tried to create it in kdmrc as:
Code:
[X-:1-Core]
# See above
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors

[X-:2-Core]
# See above
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors

But it has turned out nothing.

As to me correctly to set up KDM that I could create the multi-user connection to system on VNC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you want the remote user to access your local display? You do not need a real display if you just want a remote user to access your machine via VNC to serve a remote desktop. Maybe what you want is the x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver and/or x11-servers/x11rd package. With it you can create remote "virtual" desktops. The error message you get is because the display :1 does not exist. You would need to create it. Like what happens when you switch user via KDM/GDM. But then again this display is local and if you give access to it via VNC two users (local+remote) would access it. What you are describing is kind of "remote control" of a local display, and that would be useful e.g. to help or teach a user on-the-fly how to do this and that. If what you want is a remote desktop, try x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver or x11-servers/x11rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back