Using the arswitch ethernet switch on FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrian

I sat down a few weeks ago to make the AR8327 Ethernet switch work and in doing so I wanted to add per-port and 802.1q VLAN support. It turned out that I... didn't know as much I thought I did about the EtherSwitch support. So, after a whole bunch of trial-and-error, I wrapped my head around things. This post is mostly a braindump so if I do forget I have something written down about it - at least until I turn it into a FreeBSD manpage.

There's three modes:
  • default - all ports are in the same VLAN;
  • per-port - each port can be in a VLAN 'group';
  • dot1q - each port can be in multiple VLAN groups, with 802.1q tagging going on.
The per-port VLAN group is for switches that don't have an arbitrary VLAN table - you just assign each port an ID from some low set of values (say, 16), and then the VLAN tag can either be added or not added. I think the RTL8366 switch is like this, but I'd have to check.

The dot1q VLAN is for switches that support multiple VLANs, each can have an arbitrary VLAN ID (0..4095) with optional other VLAN options (like tag-in-tag support.)

The EtherSwitch configuration side has a few options and they're supported by different hardware:
  • Each port has a port VLAN ID - this is the "native port" for dot1q support. I don't think it has any particular meaning in the per-port VLAN code in arswitch but I could be terribly wrong. I thought it did when I initially did the port, but the documentation is... lacking.
  • Then there's a set of per-port flags - eg q-in-q, 802.1q tagging, etc.
  • Then there's the vlangroup - each vlangroup has a vlan ID, and then a set of port members. Each port member can be tagged or untagged.
This is where things get odd.

Firstly - the AR934x SoC switch support doesn't include VLANs. I need to add that. I'm not sure which side of the wall this falls.

The switches previous to the AR8327 support per-port and VLAN configuration, but they don't support per-port-per-VLAN tagging. Ie, you can configure 802.1q VLANs, and you can enable tagging on the port - but it tags all packets that aren't the port 'VLAN ID'.

The per-port VLAN ID seems ignored by the arswitch code - it's only used by the dot1q support.

So I think (and it hasn't yet been tested) that on the earlier switches, I can use per-port VLANs with tagging by:
  • Configuring per port vlans - "etherswitch config vlan_mode port"
  • Adding vlangroups as appropriate with membership - tag/untag doesn't matter
  • Set the CPU port up to have tagging - "etherswitch port0 addtag"
When configuring dot1q VLANs, the mode is "config vlan_mode dot1q" and the 802.1q VLAN IDs are used, but the above still holds - the port is tagged or untagged.

But on the AR8327, the VLAN map hardware actually supports enabling/disabling tagging on a per-port-per-VLAN basis. I.e., when the VLAN table is programmed with the port membership, it takes a list of both the ports and whether the ports are tagged/untagged/open/filtered. So, I don't think per-port VLAN tagging works - only dot1q tagging. Maybe I can make it work, but I haven't really sat down for long enough with the documentation to see what combinations are required.
  • Configure the hardware - "etherswitch config vlan_mode dot1q"
  • Add vlangroups as appropriate, set pvid as appropriate
  • For each vlangroup membership, the port can be tagged or untagged - e.g. to tag the cpu port 0, you'd use '0t' as the port member. That says "port0 is a member, and it's tagged."
I still have a whole lot more to add - the ingress/egress filters aren't configurable, the per-port VLAN stuff needs to be made much more sensible and consistent - and the AR934x SoC switch needs to support VLANs. Oh, and much more documentation. But, hey, I can get the thing spitting out VLAN tags, so when it's time to set up my home network with some VLANs, I'll be sure to document what I did and share it with everyone.

0V4_M3_nGFY

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back