Solved When partitions are created, what is the next step?

Hi,

I would like partitioning manually my disk with gpart(8). It's a success until my question with the "Mountpoint".

bsdinstall-part-manual-addpart.png

How can I create this "Mountpoint" ? I searched for mount(8) but I don't understand and I'm not sure that it's this way to assign it.

If this is the first partition (in other words, the 'root' partition) the mount point is '/' (without the quotes). Hope this helps.

At the partitioning step, select the "Shell" option. Then read the blurb that appears at the top of the terminal that opens. Follow what's written there.

Partition the disk(s). Install the boot code as needed. Format the filesystems. Mount the filesystems to the temp location. Edit the temp fstab file.

Then exit the terminal to be taken back to the installer at the next step (choose what to install) automatically.

So, I could dodge the type of partition? And let this empty? Because I have to format with a file system.

Perhaps sharing what you actually intend to do with the disk would clear things up. The gpart(8) man page lists all of the types of partition table and filesystem you can select. You need to specify a type, but if you intend to use a partition with FreeBSD that partition will be (or at least really, really should be) formatted to either UFS or ZFS anyway. Any disk space you intend to use for other purposes can be left unpartitioned.

I can. I would like partitioning and setting up partitions to be ready like the BSD Installer but only with commands line. Because, after the installation with BSD Installer, I obtain the error
gptboot: invalid backup GPT header. So finally, I want install manually FreeBSD. Now, I'm locked around the end of partitioning.
I assume I have to setting up newfs(8). And after, I've to setting up mount(8) ? Unfortunately, I really don't understand utility of mount(8), even after a few research.

invalid backup GPT header usually means the disk was originally partitioned with GPT, then someone repartitioned to MBR without first destroying the backup GPT table at the end of the disk. This is partitioning metadata, it does not involve filesystems or formatting. To clear such a disk, destroy the existing formatting, then temporarily create a GPT format on it, and finally destroy that format. For example, if the disk is ada7:
Code:
# gpart destroy -F ada7
# gpart create -s gpt ada7
# gpart destroy -F ada7

Now the disk has no partitioning scheme or remnants and can be partitioned as desired.

I haven't touch my disk between the FreeBSD Installer and the launch of the disk (to boot on it) by the BIOS. The only thing which had touch it, it's FreeBSD Installer.

I read newfs(8) and I wonder two things :
  • -U Enable soft updates on the new file system.
    and
    -j Enable soft updates journaling on the new file system. This flag is implemented by running the tunefs(8) utility found in the user's $PATH
    are linked ? Or they are different ?
  • -S sector-size The size of a sector in bytes (almost never anything but 512).
    What is the default value ? 512 I assume, it's right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, I looked for a manual installation (without the wizard) of FreeBSD and I was almost good. The last thing which is boring me, it's the fstab file. Its structure, with extra space, is important ? Or it's just for our eyes ?

Spaces or tabs are used as field separators. More than one is not required, but helps to keep the columns lined up for readability.

Ok thanks. A last thing, someone knows if when we create the partition called freebsd-boot with gpart(8):
gpart add -t freebsd-boot -s 1 ada0
I feel that this:
gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
is executed automatically with the first command that I wrote. Because, FreeBSD can run when I put only this:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr ada0

(it can't with only: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0)

Ok thanks. A last thing, someone knows if when we create the partition called freebsd-boot with gpart(8):
gpart add -t freebsd-boot -s 1 ada0

-s 1 is way too small. I recommend using 512K, but no more than that.

I feel that this:
gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
is executed automatically with the first command that I wrote. Because, FreeBSD can run when I put only this:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr ada0

(it can't with only: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0)

Creating the partition does not write the bootcode. I use both:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0

-s 1 is way too small. I recommend using 512K, but no more than that.
1 is too small yes. But I've tested many values and find -s 32 (equals -s 16K) works fine. Before the value 32, specials characters and text is wrote and the system lock itself. But, I don't know if this partition (freebsd-boot) will be modify in the long future by another program (to know if I can stay with 32).

Creating the partition does not write the bootcode. I use both:
It's strange because only with gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr ada0 the system will boot and I will can use FreeBSD as normal.

-> At the moment, I work with FreeBSD in VirtualBox.

Even if it was very difficult to find many things about these settings (on Internet) with precises examples, I can put this thread at solved. As I said on my another thread solved, I don't know if I really a bad comprehension of the description of settings or if these are descriptions which are the cause.

Back