ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.111" not found, required by "nmap"
Code:
 pkg update
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.111" not found, required by "pkg"

Had the same, found some hints on forum, sequence
Bash:
pkg-static install -f libssl.so
pkg bootstrap -f
helped in my case. I don't know if it's legit or recommended method. Use it at your own risk 🤡

One of the steps during the upgrade is to rebuild/reinstall all installed ports/packages. Don't skip this.

Code:
pkg bootstrap -f
pkg upgrade

One of the steps during the upgrade is to rebuild/reinstall all installed ports/packages. Don't skip this.

Code:
pkg bootstrap -f
pkg upgrade

Is doing 'pkg bootstrap -f' roughly the same as 'pkg-static install -f pkg'? I don't recall where I picked up the latter, but it is what I had been doing after major upgrades.

Code:
pkg bootstrap -f
pkg upgrade

For what it's worth, I have been advising --force for pkg-upgrade(8) in post- base upgrade situations.

Advice based partly upon the tradition of force that preceded this improvement to documentation:

Emerging thought:

tl;dr the routine advice to upgrade (or reinstall) all packages might cause people to shoot themselves in the feet.

Code:
pkg bootstrap -f
pkg upgrade
Apparently this step wasn't automatically made during th upgrade from 13.2-RELEASE to 14.0-RELEASE here.

I just followed standard procedure as described on https://www.freebsd.org/releases/14.0R/installation/#upgrade

Somehow the system noticed that pkg was not aboard and asked to install it. pkg upgrade now installs all new versions.

Apparently this step wasn't automatically made during th upgrade from 13.2-RELEASE to 14.0-RELEASE here.
This step was and probably never will be done automatically, maybe with pkgbase but not with the base OS as-is.

Somehow the system noticed that pkg was not aboard and asked to install it.
It's pkg(7) (/usr/bin/pkg), not pkg(8) (/usr/local/bin/pkg). pkg-static(8) probably would have worked too. pkg(7) comes with the base and is certain to always work.
Code:
     pkg [-46] bootstrap [-fy] [-r reponame]
             Attempt to bootstrap and do not forward anything to pkg(8) after
             it is installed.  With -4 and -6, pkg will force IPv4 or IPv6
             respectively to fetch pkg(8) and its signatures as needed.  If
             the -f flag is specified, then pkg(8) will be fetched and
             installed regardless if it is already installed.  If the -y flag
             is specified, no confirmation will be asked when bootstrapping
             pkg(8).

pkg upgrade now installs all new versions.
Yes, pkg(8) automatically detects the major version upgrade, and automatically reinstalls everything. Earlier versions didn't detect the change, so older documentation will tell you to pkg upgade -f.

pkg(8) automatically detects the major version upgrade, and automatically reinstalls everything. …

Caution​

Following a major upgrade to the base operating system, the effects of pkg upgrade and pkg upgrade -f can be very different from each other.

The screen recording at <https://photos.app.goo.gl/3xF2ALbLQjTVnikQA> is an unusual example, which followed a restart of the OS involving an attempt to cancel a simple pkg upgrade before installations began.

In the recording:
  • pkg upgrade -n, pkg upgrade -f -n, pkg upgrade -n, pkg upgrade -f -n

Back