general/other [Linuxulator] Test run of running Teams on FreeBSD

Inspired by the information/recipe in Thread 77559. I tried to get Teams going on FreeBSD as well. The short answer is that it mostly works, but the video conferencing functionality doesn't.

Here's what I did (roughly, sorry I didn't take extensive notes).

1. Set up the Linux Ubuntu distro and chrome as documented in the thread named above (just to make sure that the installed software is OK).
2. Download the Teams client dpkg from Microsoft and make sure that it is accessible in a chroot (if you have nullfs mounted home that shouldn't be a problem).
3. Start a chroot environment:
chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash
4. Install the dpkg
dpkg -i teams*.dpkg
5. Install the missing parts:
apt --fix-broken-install
apt install libsecret-1-0

Then create a update teams script that is similar to the chrome script:

Code:
#!/compat/linux/bin/sh

SCRIPT=$(readlink -f "$0")
USR_DIRECTORY=$(readlink -f $(dirname $SCRIPT)/..)

TEAMS_PATH="$USR_DIRECTORY/share/teams/teams"
TEAMS_LOGS="$HOME/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams/logs"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/steam-utils/lib64/fakeudev
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/steam-utils/lib64/webfix/webfix.so
export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1

mkdir -p "$TEAMS_LOGS"

nohup "$TEAMS_PATH"  --no-sandbox --no-zygote --test-type --v=0  --single-thearded-gc  "$@" > "$TEAMS_LOGS/teams-startup.log" 2>&1 &
I had to add --single-threaded-gc based on an earlier Thread 75356 on teams.

After that it more or less works. You can login, chat and files work OK. However, no devices (mic, speaker, camera) are shown. These *do* show up in chrome, so there must be something else going on there. Sadly, in the current state, you can do just as well with Firefox and slightly better with chromium.

Checking logs, there seems to something else that is spawned from teams which fails because of the preload. Sadly the logs only report

Code:
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libdl.so.2" not found, required by "webfix.so"

It is very promising, and I really applaud the work on Linux emulation. Still, it would be nice that these web services could work correctly on all browsers.

No, I couldn't. Since it did not find audio input or output, it wouldn't even let me make a test call.

I should also mention that it still has the 100% CPU issue (even after shutting it down) that was mentioned in Thread 5356.

May try again later, as I would like something a little more reliable than Chromium (mic doesn't always work). The Linux Chrome seems to refuse to connect me to any meeting.

For me i can use the echo test service but i don`t have a mic at the moment so i don`t know if it will really work (echo). But i do hear the call sound... This is centos 7, not ubuntu.

I`ll try to get a mic.

Ah, OK. Let me know how it works. I'll probably look at it again at some point, but since I've gotten Chromium working OK-ish, it lets me get my work done. Wouldn't mind having that all sitting in the Teams client though as it's all I use Chromium for.

Back