How to bluetooth?

Hello everyone, I am just wondering how I can use bluetooth on FreeBSD. Is there a GUI bluetooth manager or must I use the terminal? And if so, how do I do that?
Thank you.

Yep I've tried what it says but I can't seem to get it to work...

sudo service bluetooth start ubt0
/etc/rc.d/bluetooth: ERROR: Unable to setup Bluetooth stack for device ubt0

Not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong here. I'm really new to BSD, I'd like to get bluetooth and sixad to work & then I'll be good to go.

sudo btsixad
btsixad: bind() failed: Address already in use

It would be awesome if someone could help me do this, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this... what outputs of commands can I give you?

hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
Inquiry result, num_responses=1
Inquiry result #0
BD_ADDR: 00:1a:7d:da:71:13
Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
Page Scan Period Mode: 0x2
Page Scan Mode: 00
Class: 0c:01:0c
Clock offset: 0x1c5c
Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]

I guess that this is the problem. How can I solve this?
I've ordered a new WiFi+bluetooth card, the newest intel card, just a few days ago. I imagine it'll take a few weeks to get here, but for the next two weeks I need my bluetooth to work, I REALLY need my bluetooth. Anyone have an idea how I can make this thing function? ;_; I can't manage to install rtl8821ae driver from lwfinger's github repo, it just fails

gmake -C /lib/modules/11.1-RELEASE/build M=/usr/home/kzn/Compiles/rtlwifi_new modules
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/lib/modules/11.1-RELEASE/build'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target 'modules'. Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/lib/modules/11.1-RELEASE/build'
gmake: *** [Makefile:58: all] Error 2

same thing with pmake

oh lord.... version 4 of course. So I can't use FreeBSD if I want to use bluetooth? :( this is a real downer.
UFS filesystems can be resized, right? How do I install GRUB on FreeBSD? I guess I'll have to install some linux distro(probably devuan) alongside FreeBSD....
Any idea when bluetooth might actually be fully working on FreeBSD? Does bluetooth v4 work on NetBSD or OpenBSD perhaps?

Ouch.... Unmaintained.... thats really too bad... I'm trying to install GRUB on FreeBSD but its not seeming to work out... UFS can be resized, right?
And what about NetBSD? Do they support bluetooth?

You know what? The Handbook has been outdated for a lot. Still, at this time Bluetooth past Version 3 is not meant to work.

There is one thing, I've tried to use a Bluetooth Version 3 dongle with Bluetooth devices (a while back before looking into which versions work), and they've showed up as regular usb wireless devices. Perhaps they're not meant to work yet, but they show up, just not as Bluetooth. If a minor function happens to work, it's by chance, and not officially supposed to.

... with Bluetooth devices (a while back before looking into which versions work), and they've showed up as regular usb wireless devices. Perhaps they're not meant to work yet, but they show up, just not as Bluetooth. If a minor function happens to work, it's by chance, and not officially supposed to.
The fact that BT is included in the handbook led me into trying to get my headset working with FreeBSD a few years ago.
What I found was that the supposedly supported chipsets showed up as bluetooth, and the ones not supported as wireless usb devices.

I managed to get pairing work on FreeBSD, but audio itself... no luck with all bt dongles and headsets I tried.

Anyway, it is not impossible to get bluetooth work: create a windows virtualbox, pass through the usb device and let windows do the work...
To prevent false hopes, the bluetooth situation on Linux is not much better.

Snurg, if you want to try, Molloy book has a chapter on Bluetooth, it is one of the few i did not read;) The book in general is very good, except the DTO part which is now outdated.

In general my experience with Linux and BBB has been rewarding but painful, it is very difficult to find updated info. And the feeling I had was like be building on sand.

I buoght today 2 BBGreen, I hope to be able to do some experiments with Freebsd shortly;)

Nicola Mingotti I would hate to use Linux, too.
It's a real battle inside of me.
When thinking back what I learnt in 2013 when I tried to get bluetooth audio work for me, I remember that some people back then said that bluetooth keyboards, mice and data transfer work for them. So the bluetooth stack is at least partially functional, but many things missing.
My use case would be in the final stages of my project the addition of a smartphone app to control my appliance, and to get alarm notification from the phone. Basically some simple data transfer, like kbd/mouse, nothing complex.
If the BBB bluetooth chipset is compatible with the old FreeBSD driver, it could be still possible with FreeBSD.
If this is not possible, I could still change to Linux.
I think I'll first start with FreeBSD on the BBB and see how it works.

to Snurg ,
I developed some Android apps, that is another field that, as the BB, requires a lot of study.
Luckily enough, there is abundant documentation.

If your device needs to run at home, where probably you have a wifi network, you could use that
channel to let the BBB and Android comunicate. I guess It would save you a lot of troubles.

If you want to go for the bluetooth path, probably the easiest path would be to
follow Molly book and do it first with Linux.
Then, once you are familar with the precedure move it to FreeBSD.
(I have no idea of the level of difficulty of the last step, the first part should be easy)

Nicola Mingotti I am still reading through Mollloy's book... it's very well written.
I guess I'll do my first steps with Debian, as I am setting up Debian on my second PC atm as well.

Not sure whether Bluetooth or wifi will be the path to go.
Web interface is probably the easiest way to control the BBB... and it is probably the only way to do it with FreeBSD.

But I'll take the time to read the most important sections of the book first :)

Snurg, I support your decision. Considering there is a good book
for Linux it is reasonable to hack there first.

Addendum to Molloy book. All recent Debian distributions
don't require you to mess with DTO. Just use the config-pin
command.

Linux is a big mess, in case you need help on something
undocumented join #beagle on freenode.net. There is a guy
there how knows all of BBB;) I don't remember his name, unfortunately
I did not write it into my notes.

Maybe we could write something similar to Molloy book for
FreeBSD with the other friends of the forum. A much shorter version, more
focused on people who already know Unix. Let's collect procedures then, in 4-5 months we will see.

I agree on the web server. If you need to control the BBB from, e.g. your phone, it is the simplest way.

oh lord.... version 4 of course. So I can't use FreeBSD if I want to use bluetooth? :( this is a real downer.
UFS filesystems can be resized, right? How do I install GRUB on FreeBSD? I guess I'll have to install some linux distro(probably devuan) alongside FreeBSD....
Any idea when bluetooth might actually be fully working on FreeBSD? Does bluetooth v4 work on NetBSD or OpenBSD perhaps?
Hi. Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm using a CSR8510 A10 Bluetooth 4.0 device that works almost perfectly for sending and receiving files with my Android phone. What is your device?

Does that bluetooth CSR8510 work with BSD, you wrote? And if so, any brand of the chipset?
I don't have any expectation for it to work, but I once plugged in a Bluetooth 3.0 dongle, and Bluetooth devices showed up, not as Bluetooth devices, but as regular wireless devices. I didn't look into it, because the expectation was that there would be no real premise for it to work.

Does that bluetooth CSR8510 work with BSD, you wrote? And if so, any brand of the chipset?
One of my usb devices was made by a company called PRINCETON and another that I use which was made in China and there are no brand markings on it, believe it or not. But if you're looking for one go to your favourite shop (online or otherwise) and search for "CSR 4.0 Bluetooth" and a few should come up.
Also apparently the Broadcom BCM20702 also works. They are very cheap, around $10 US.
Good luck!

One of my usb devices was made by a company called PRINCETON and another that I use which was made in China and there are no brand markings on it, believe it or not. But if you're looking for one go to your favourite shop (online or otherwise) and search for "CSR 4.0 Bluetooth" and a few should come up.
Also apparently the Broadcom BCM20702 also works. They are very cheap, around $10 US.
Good luck!

Most bluetooth devices will handle the protocols of the older versions of the bluetooth spec. The simple file transfer profile was one of the first bluetooth services (bluetooth was seen first as a file transfer technology). It is available in version 1.0 of the bluetooth spec. That's probably what's happening. It doesn't mean it'll support the newer profiles (services).

Back