NVIDIA vs AMD video card on new desktop build?

Trendkill, i have a :
device = 'TU106 [GeForce RTX 2060 12GB]'
And it's working fine.

Some config
/boot/loader.conf
Code:
kern.vty=sc

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="nvidia nvidia-modeset linux"

Installed:
Code:
nvidia-driver-510.60.02
nvidia-settings-470.86
nvidia-xconfig-470.86

Trendkill, i have a :
device = 'TU106 [GeForce RTX 2060 12GB]'
And it's working fine.

Some config
/boot/loader.conf
Code:
kern.vty=sc

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="nvidia nvidia-modeset linux"

Installed:
Code:
nvidia-driver-510.60.02
nvidia-settings-470.86
nvidia-xconfig-470.86

Did you have to install centOS linux compatibility layer?

How did you manage xorg config?

I use a separate very cheap passively cooled accelerated radeon card.
Code:
device     = 'Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]'
Works perfect with Windows & FreeBSD.
Greetings. May I know how many monitors you used on Radeon HD 7450 graphic card?
And was/is it using 3D-acceleration?

It's a good value/price card.
When xorg correctly configured the frame rate it delivers is much higher than the human eye can detect playing videos or playing games.

When i drag a window from one monitor to another, the real size of the window remains the same.
If i would set resolutions the same, you have another ratio in each window.

AMD is about 3.4% more popular than Nvidia with Linux gamers and the Steam Deck uses an AMD GPU.
Linuxulator could work well on AMD GPUs and FreeBSD, theoretically.
What problems have you had on AMD GPUs?
Very bad performance and some games can't even been played when on nvidia would play fine.

Very bad performance and some games can't even been played when on nvidia would play fine.

I guess thats the current performance bug that exists for years. The thing is that you need to restart the game a few times to get a "good" session.

But i have not tested yet if its a RADV bug or a bug with Wine and / or DXVK.

But when using currently (at the time of writing) graphics/mesa-devel then things got much better.

Last edited:
I got an Nvidia but they send me the wrong version with hdmi and dvi i tried to use an adapter from dvi to vga but it doesn't work .
So i have to use the intergrated gpu for my second monitor and of course i can't i must configure xorg and find the pci address
I've done that before when i had an amd gpu with the r7 (same driver=amdgpu) intergrated but with nvidia i'm hopeless it can either work with the nvidia or with amd i'm in trouble.
Do you know anything about dvi outputs ? is there something i can do ? any adapter from dvi to hdmi or vga that would work ?
On Linux its being detected and configured automatically can't i get any settings from linux ?

On Linux i use the proprietary nvidia drivers from the nvidia website.
On FreeBSD i just use the drm-kmod.
There are no lines needed in /boot/loader.conf
Just add to /etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="drm nvidia nvidia-modeset linux64 linux"

It's linux related, but is kind of relevant here. I recently bought an RX580 to compare against my nvidia 1060, which the gamer kiddies online state are comparably benchamrked units. My openGL test comparisons between the two showed relatively dismal performance of the AMD/radeon compared to the nvidia closed source drivers card. The ADM uses the AMDGPU linux kernel driver. I went so far as to gen a bleeding edge kernel to test the AMD bacause some folks said significant performance increases have been made in the ADMGPU driver.

The nvidia outperformed the AMD byt a 3:1 margin, and even though the newer kernel for the amdgpu drivers yielded a 17% performance increase in its throughput, that's still a drop in the buket with the AMD performing at 1/3 the nvidia rate.

You can see the thread on the debian forums list at
<https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=154701>

One of the things that keeps me from jumping off the linux ship and heading back to my BSD roots has been GPU support/performance. Since nvidia wont support CUDA on freeBSD that is a blocker. I had hoped that AMDs answer to CUDA might mitigate that problem, but no joy if the openGL performance is so poor.

Do you know anything about dvi outputs ? is there something i can do ? any adapter from dvi to hdmi or vga that would work ?
DVI is a hybrid digital+analog connector and can carry both a digital and an analog signal at the same time, or only a digital signal, or only an analog signal (this last case is unlikely nowadays). It's possible that your GPU in its default configuration on FreeBSD only outputs a digital signal, which is why your DVI to VGA adapter doesn't work. In this case, either find a configuration setting that will make the GPU output an analog signal, or use a DVI to HDMI adapter which should work without issues.

Back