FreeBSD 13.1 installation failure

I downloaded and FreeBSD 13.1 following the procedures: after installation to install the gnome desktop
pkg install nano done
nano /etc/fstab done
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0 done
pkg install xorg
pkg install gnome ( becuase it would not the 3 next to it)
nano /etc/rc.conf
dbus_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="Yes"
hald_enable="YES"
reboot

When I restart it always shows the script where I insert my username and password but I tried restarting many time the desktop does nevers show up always the script
Please any help.

Follow the handbook. Install and configure Xorg first, then move onto Gnome. Don't try to build a house when you haven't put up the foundation yet.

the guide is bit complicated to follow is there any video guide thats shows precisely how to install the gnome desktop

I done all this to install the gnone desktop but i didn't work.
evertime I restart only the script appears asking for username and paswword but No gnome desktop

pkg install nano done
nano /etc/fstab done
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0 done
pkg install xorg done
pkg install gnome ( becuase it would not the 3 next to it) done
nano /etc/rc.conf done
dbus_enable="YES" done
gdm_enable="YES" done
gnome_enable="Yes" done
hald_enable="YES" done
reboot done

Try to work in a procedural way from simple to complex.
- Install freebsd, does it work with command line, i.e. applications like vi.
-Then check your video card. Did you install the right driver nvidia/intel/amd.
-Then try a simple desktop like openbox.
-If that works try a more complicated destop like gnome or kde.

Batmanxx
Your latest post is almost identical to your OP. This hints to an impaired communication. Do you have any problems understanding English language?

I did input all the procedure as above in the command line one by one but the after restart the gnome desktop is not there it asking for username and password. So you that Openbox is more simple to install ?

Again, read the handbook. Start by setting up and configuring Xorg. Then move to Gnome (or OpenBox, or whatever). Installing a desktop environment or window manager isn't going to magically make Xorg work correctly. Learn to walk before trying to run.

I was never was able to install Freebsd at that time I gave up, This time I trying to install again but having the same problems.

I did install Freebsd everything ok but when want to add a desktop as explained I having problems I just need the right way to do it.

Thank you when I restart the pc the gnome desktop should show up but the black and white script appears asking me to insert username and passoword but no DESKTOP GNOME

I was never was able to install Freebsd at that time I gave up, This time I trying to install again but having the same problems.

Ok. Try this:
1) remove gnome_enable="YES" and gdm_enable="YES" from rc.conf
2) check that dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES" are present in rc.conf
3) create .xinitrc in home dir, and put to it:
xscreensaver -no-splash & exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session > .xsession-errors 2>&1
3) reboot, and try to start X from command line: startx

What will you get on the screen ? And look in .xsession-errors

PS
Is gdm installed ? I do not see.

Back