Solved firefox as of may 5 crashes, also firefox-esr...

...console.warn: services:settings: Could not determine network status. Message: TypeError: Cc[aContract] is undefined], gNetworkLinkService is undefined. Exiting due to channel error. [ core dumps] ... the first time it produced a black screen in Xorg and a forced power off and fsck. Chrome and seamonkey still work. This after an upgrade early this morning of several libraries and I think firefox, though I deleted the packages so cannot provide names...
packages updated just then, firefox and thunderbird seem wholly fixed. Friday evening may 6

Last edited:
No because I cleaned old versions of course. However I doubt that the previous version would have worked since firefox-esr (91.9) isn't working either.

...console.warn: services:settings: Could not determine network status. Message: TypeError: Cc[aContract] is undefined], gNetworkLinkService is undefined. Exiting due to channel error. [ core dumps] ... the first time it produced a black screen in Xorg and a forced power off and fsck. Chrome and seamonkey still work. This after an upgrade early this morning of several libraries and I think firefox, though I deleted the packages so cannot provide names...
Hi jb_fvwm2
What is your FreeBSD and Firefox version?
I don't use firefox-esr, but I have Firefox version 99.0 on FreeBSD version 13.0 that works very well.

Looks like there is an explanation for the crash. From www/firefox 100.0_3,2 commit description:
Code:
www/firefox{,-esr}, mail/thunderbird: remote LTO from default options

When rust's internal LLVM does not match the LLVM used for building
gecko ports, LTO-built binaries will be unstable, exhibit crashes
and other undesirable behaviour. Rust 1.60 created such a situation.
Disabling LTO will allow these ports to be used, and keeping it off
will safe on build and debug time.

Check version 100.0_1,2 from 2022-05-04 for LTO option, it should be "on" (pkg-info(8)).

Interesting. I'm on 13.0-RELEASE-p11 and am not seeing this.

pkg info firefox
firefox-100.0_1,2
LTO : on

pkg upgrade -n is telling me 0 candidates, so my machine is up to date for 13.0-RELEASE.
I do not have RUST installed; folks seeing the issue, what is the output of
pkg info | grep -i rust

Do you have Rust installed, if so what version?
Looks like for 13.0-RELEASE the version is rust-1.59.0 unless you install rust-nightly then it gets to 1.60

amw@t430 ~/Documents> pkg info | grep -i rust
librsvg2-rust-2.54.1 Library for parsing and rendering SVG vector-graphic files
amw@t430 ~/Documents>

Reactions: mer
Same issue on 13.1-STABLE with both firefox-100.0_1,2 and thunderbird-91.9.0_2.

Reverted to the previous firefox-100.0,2, working again.

Surprisingly, while I do have the previous Firefox .pkg in /var/cache/pkg/, I only have the newer Thunderbird.

I thought pkg clean kept the .pkg for all installed packages, but in fact it deletes them as soon as they are outdated:
pkg-clean(8)
[...] It removes packages that have been superseded by newer versions, and any packages that are no longer provided.
So I probably ran it when Thunderbird had already been updated in the repository to its current version, but Firefox had not yet.
Anyway, that's not very convenient, there doesn't seem to be an option to clear the package cache while keeping all packages that are currently installed, which I think is a behaviour many people would expect. I'll open an issue on Bugzilla.

Interesting. I'm on 13.0-RELEASE-p11 and am not seeing this.
Looks like for 13.0-RELEASE the version is rust-1.59.0 unless you install rust-nightly then it gets to 1.60
So you're using quarterly packages. In latest it's 1.60.
Maybe the problem is only present with latest?

I don't have Rust installed either.

Reactions: mer
I have that installed also and am not seeing the issue. Hmm.

EDIT:
Yes, I am using quarterly packages, not latest.
Folks seeing the issue, are you all on "latest"?

Hey, I found a workaround for those still experiencing this issue, all the "latest" people.

Switch to "quarterly" in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
Run:

Bash:
pkg update
pkg install firefox # might delete some other packages you might want, save them to a file 'your_saved_pkgs'
# Switch back to latest in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
pkg lock firefox icu qt5-core spidermonkey78
pkg update
pkg install $(cat your_saved_pkgs) # reinstall your packages

This did the trick for me, hope it works for you. I'll try to upgrade Firefox again in a few days to see if the next version works fine.

In addition to firefox 100.1,2 > 100.0_1,2 , libsecret, nss, liveMedia and libnotify were upgraded. [ found in /var/log/messages ]. fwiw. But I see the cause has already been likely found... can't find the older package to download for 13-STABLE.
the firefox-bin from backup, here, ALSO crashed with one of the errors I posted, I think, in the first post. [gNewwork... unable to detemine ... ] so there's that.

Hi friends, the very latest version of Firefox is broken on my side; is it just me or are you having the same issue?

Code:
firefox-100.0_1,2
Name           : firefox
Version        : 100.0_1,2
Installed on   : Thu May  5 09:42:59 2022 EDT
The errors:
Code:
firefox #refreshed 
console.warn: SearchSettings: "get: No settings file exists, new profile?" (new NotFoundError("Could not open the file at /home/freezr/.mozilla/firefox/1u2vk142.default-release/search.json.mozlz4", (void 0)))
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.
Exiting due to channel error.
fish: Job 1, 'firefox' terminated by signal SIGTRAP (Trace or breakpoint trap)

Also Thunderbird has issues but looks related with some extensions...

Same for with the latest repo:

Also Thunderbird is broken, runs in safe mode but not normally even if you reset everything...

Code:
thunderbird
[calBackendLoader] Using Thunderbird's libical backend
[LDAPModuleLoader] Using LDAPDirectory.jsm
[MsgSendModuleLoader] Using MessageSend.jsm
[SmtpModuleLoader] Using SmtpService.jsm
console.error: (new Error("couldn't open library libc.so: /usr/lib/libc.so: invalid file format", "resource:///modules/CLib.jsm", 46))
Exiting due to channel error.
fish: Job 1, 'thunderbird' terminated by signal SIGTRAP (Trace or breakpoint trap)

Thanks for bug reporting...
Why not chromium? I don't think using a old browser like midori is a good idea, it's unlikely to be secure enough.

It is a temporarely solution waiting for a fix, however as much as I can I prefer avoid anything related with Gugl even though is hardly complicated!

Back