bhyve I've declared 8 cores for my bhyve Windows 11 VM,but it says there is only one allocated.

Hello to everyone.

I would like to know why my Windows 11 VM virtualized with bhyve,tells that "sockets = 1 ; virtual processors = 1",when inside the bhyve configuration file I've declared "-c 8" ; Even the Kinect verifier tells that the VM has an insufficient number of processor cores" and my kinect 2 does not work properly. I've gathered these informations because I wanted pass through to the VM my kinect 2 attaching it to the Renesas USB-PCI controller.

Screenshot_2022-01-22_20-02-02.png

Set cores=4 and threads=2 for example.
It's better to use something like vm-bhyve:
Code:
# cpu (required)
# specify the number of cpu cores to give to the guest
cpu="8"

# cpu_sockets
# manually configure the number of sockets that bhyve should
# expose to the guest.
# note that sockets*cores*threads should equal the above cpu count
cpu_sockets="1"

# cpu_cores
# the number of cores to create per physical processor
cpu_cores="4"

# cpu_threads
# the number of cpu threads per core
cpu_threads="2"

Just for completeness: That's another example for silly artificial restrictions Microsoft puts in the "Desktop" editions of their OS. They support multiple cores, but not multiple CPUs, so you have to make sure the virtualized environment appears as a single CPU.

Multiple CPUs work fine with a Windows Server guest.

If I remember correctly,Windows 10 does not need this specification. Its also interesting to see that windows 11 detects the bhyve hypervisor....I'm pretty sure that even Windows 10 detects it,despite our efforts to camouflage it. Maybe Windows 10 does not show that it also detects it,but Windows 11 does it. That's good because now we know the reason of the error 43 when we try to pass thru an nvidia graphic card.

I've booted Windows 11 physically and I saw "virtual machine = yes" ,so it does not mean that it detects the hypervisor,it should be something else. Otherwise it would have been "virtual machine = no" ; Regarding the cpu parameters to use in bhyve for Windows 10 I always used only "-c 8" and everything ran fast.

I don't understand which values are u used for sockets,cores and threads for Windows 11. On my Windows 11 I'm not able to have more than 1 virtual processor and for this reason the kinect 2 does not work.

I've marked the relevant parts red in my screenshot. I'm starting all my bhyve machines with two different "templates" of start scripts; It's a /bin/sh script, in which i define:
Code:
Cores="sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2"
The execute line then uses the defined variable:
Code:
bhyve -S -H -w -c $Cores -m $Memory […]

It does not work for me. I have also tried "-S -c 8,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2",but 11 always detects 1. I would like to understand why. I see two options to explore... 1) bhyve has some problem with the Intel CPUs (infact u are using an AMD cpu),or I should activate my copy of Windows 11.

I love you. On Windows 10,I used only -c 8 and it always worked great. But now I'm using 11 and it seems that it works differently. I've just activated my copy of Windows 11. It still says 1/1,even if I have declared "-S -c sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2" ; I'm starting to think that bhyve has some bug.

I've found the reason. On the second sata disk I'm using FreeBSD 14 + the official bhyve and there windows 11 detects more virtual processors. Instead,on the first sata disk I'm using bhyve modified by Corvin and there I see the freezed virtual processors. So,there is a bug or limitation on the Corvin's bhyve version. On the official bhyve version installed on FreeBSD 14.0 the kinect 2 works like a charm.

What is Corvin's bhyve version and why didn't you tell us you don't use the official version in ports?
You always say that you "don't like an easy win" but this is just ridiculous. You're wasting the time of the people who want to help you.

Because I didn't know that there was such difference in the code. This is his repo :

I use it because I have worked with him enabling the passthru of the nvidia graphic card inside a Linux vm on bhyve. Since it works,I didn't realize that the same repo is not good when is virtualized Windows 11. You have some bad preconceptions on my seriousness. That's not good at all. And you are too much severe. If I wasnt serious like you think,why,as soon as I've realized the reason of the failing,I would have told it to everyone ?

Back