iTunes on FreeBSD

Once you start with iTunes, Apple does their level best to keep you locked in. That said, If you already have purchased a number of songs you can use multimedia/ffmpeg to convert them to either *.ogg or *mp3. You can google for scripts to do batch conversion, an example is here. Video formats are also reported to convert.

I'd guess there's a good chance they want to purchase their content on iTunes and listen to or watch it there. It's one way to legitimately purchase content you want to see. I believe that once you purchase something through iTunes you can legitimately back it up to DVD, so you can probably copy from there--or a USB, but honestly, I'm guessing. I feel as if I've read that people have managed to use it on Linux, but even then, if I remember correctly, they did the purchasing and so on through iTunes on Mac or Windows, then transferred the files.

I installed sysutils/fusefs-ifuse and then:
Code:
root@unix:/usr/home/user # usbmuxd
root@unix:/mnt # ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod
fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory
root@unix:/mnt #
What does problem?

Code:
root@unix:/usr/home/user # kldload fuse
root@unix:/usr/home/user # ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/usr/home/user # cd /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/mnt/ipod # ls
ls: .: Input/output error
root@unix:/mnt/ipod #

Code:
root@unix:/usr/home/user # kldload fuse
root@unix:/usr/home/user # ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/usr/home/user # cd /mnt/ipod
root@unix:/mnt/ipod # ls
ls: .: Input/output error
root@unix:/mnt/ipod #
:(

I never asked: What device do you have?

Whilst iTunes is proprietary software (I suspect Oko is joking about porting it), there are open source audio players/library managers like audio/amarok and audio/rhythmbox that might have a similar feel. It has been a while since I tried either as I now use much lighter alternatives and I've never owned an iPod/iPhone to try to connect to them.

If you are highly motivated to run iTunes, it *might* be possible to get the Windows version running under emulators/wine but personally, I would go with something that is designed to run natively on FreeBSD.

Boys oh boys I really wish iTunes was available natively for FreeBSD. Its the only thing really missing from my non-Windows household. Looks like I will be using Amazon now for my mp3 purchases.

So I see now that I need iTunes to upgrade the iOS on my two Apple devices. And without upgrading the iOS, more and more applications are unavailable to me. :(

Perhaps install an older macOS in VirtualBox and make use of the USB passthrough?

Its a bit of a faff, honestly I would just sell the iPhone (£30?) and buy a £10 featurephone (with bonus £5 pay-as-you-go credit) and a £5.99 mp3 player.

Then spend the remaining money you saved on decent beer ;)

Perhaps install an older macOS in VirtualBox and make use of the USB passthrough?

Its a bit of a faff, honestly I would just sell the iPhone (£30?) and buy a £10 featurephone (with bonus £5 pay-as-you-go credit) and a £5.99 mp3 player.
2013's smartphones supported sdxc, so you can buy a sdcard instead of the mp3 player.

2013's smartphones supported sdxc, so you can buy a sdcard instead of the mp3 player.
Since my Blackberry broke, I vowed to never buy a smart phone and now have this bad boy. Subsidised / Sim locked to BT O2 so considerably cheaper.

I have never used it for music. Turns out it can do radio but not much else (just how I like it).

3 weeks between battery charges is pretty sweet :)

Back