Solved Simple answer to install .crt certificate.

I can't find a simple answer to a simple question online.

I'll be brief.

I use a DNS ad blocker.
They have provided a .crt file to stop the certificate errors.
I would like to install it.
How?

I remember under Manjaro Linux it was one simple "trust" command.

What certificate errors? It all depends on context.

If you get certificate errors while accessing certain websites then you'd install the certificate in the certificate store of the browser you're using. Yet that also depends on the browser, some also honor /usr/local/etc/ssl/cert.pem (as installed by security/ca_root_nss).

It has to be global since it is a DNS ad blocker and I get the same errors with any browser. I already have ca_root_nss installed.

It has to be global since it is a DNS ad blocker and I get the same errors with any browser.
As I said: it depends on the browser(s), most will use their own certificate storage though. Therefor the probable solution is to import the certificate into the certificate storage of all those browsers you're using to mark it as trusted.

You can also try adding it to cert.pem which I mentioned above (depending on the file format) but I have some serious doubts that this will work. As mentioned: many browsers don't use this.

I use qutebrowser and firefox. I have no idea where the storage is for those browsers.

EDIT: Just read that qutebrowser uses openssl

Openssl has nothing to do with a browser's cert store - we are talking about a browser, correct? If so, Firefox has an option in the settings to import certificates. I would look in your browser's options to see if you can find the same thing. Basically, you are installing the certificate from your DNS ad blocker into the browser cert store so it can trust the ad blocker, if that makes sense.

Sigh*

Basically I want to use these commands because they worked in Manjaro without having to install per-browser.

Code:
# trust anchor path/to/cert.crt
# trust anchor --remove path/to/cert.crt

"Currently (with QtWebKit), qutebrowser just uses OpenSSL and your system's certificate store, so you'd need to import it there. I've never done that before though."

Ok I understand - never encountered a browser that does that on Linux/FreeBSD so wasn't familiar. I have only ever used Chromium and Firefox.

Back