xorg not working with 11.2

I'm trying to get X up and running but I get a no screens found error when I try to start it. I noticed the Build Operating System is FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p11 amd64. I tried all available drivers but have not had any success getting it to run.

It's a known issue with FreeBSD 11.2. The packaged Nvidia driver is built for FreeBSD 11.1 and will fail to work with Xorg. As a workaround, you can build the Nvidia driver from the ports collection and it should work.

scrappywan, I tried that and it still won't start. Also, what driver should I install? there's a few of them.

It is a new install. I just installed 11.2 and tried to install xorg and in the error output it says
Code:
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p11 amd 64

Ok, you said you tried that. Do you know that you have the right NVidia driver? There is the nvidia driver and also the nvidia-340 driver for older NVidia cards. (And some other drivers for even older cards.)
However, while I see Quadro 600 listed under legacy, I don't know if that includes the K620. I don't see anything about that card.

Also, the port requires, I think, having the FreeBSD source code installed. Have you done that? You don't have to run make buildworld but you do have to check out the source code. NVidia could make the information easier to find, but it seems as if it might take the most current driver, which would be x11/nvidia-driver port as on http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx it showed the K620 as certified for the 390.67 if I read the page correctly.

You can install that with your favorite ports tool, or just
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia/driver; make install clean
as root or using sudo.

I personally find it easiest to also install the x11/nvidia-xconfig port and then run nvidia-xconfig which writes the configuration to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (it may call it nvidia-xorg.conf or similar) and then run startx.

So, question 1. Do you have the source code installed. Gotten by running (on the US east coast--this will work for other locations but you probably want one near you

Code:
 svnlite co https://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.2 /usr/src

I assume, as you said you tried it, that you have the ports tree installed. Try the nvidia-driver port, and the nvidia-xconfig port. If that doesn't work, then try the nvidia-340 port.

what info do you want from that?

Package version and origin (locally built port vs repo), whether kernel driver was or wasn't successfully loaded. And don't even think about retelling your impression of the command(s) output, it should be provided verbatim, otherwise you are wasting everyone's time.

I tried all the combinations of the drivers that would work. I'm hoping someone finds a fix for this soon as it's been said it's a well known issue. Do you think it would work if I installed 11.1, installed x and then upgraded?

Is there a way to "rollback" to 11.1?

I'm open to suggestions.

dmesg | grep nvidia
Code:
nvidia0: <Quadro K620> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested -ci_enable-io
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms 390.48 Wed Mar 21 23:42:12 PDT

I thought it might be worth mentioning that these cards have two ports (one dp port and one dvi)

I'm going to install 11.1 and see if it works. I'll let you know in about 15 minutes if it works.

I'll post the Xorg output. It's just tricky because I can't transfer the file from FreeBSD to my windows computer (the one I'm on now).
it was said earlier that this is the result of the fact the old drivers won't work on the newer version of FreeBSD. That was my logic in trying 11.1. It's a fresh install so I don't mind reinstalling. If you think it's easier this way, I'll try to get the Xorg file over to windows using ssh or something.

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p11 amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD dojo1-fbsd_server.antilogy.us 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #0 r335510: Fri Jun 22 04:32:14 UTC 2018 root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 23 June 2018 08:10:56AM
Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 6 23:32:18 2018
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Back