ZFS ZFS mirror performance vs. single disk

Hello all,

I am looking for some general pointers on how to test I/O performance on a ZFS mirror vs. a single disk. I've been expecting to see higher read performance from a mirror but I am unable to verify this on my test machine.

Specifically I've been creating pools using:

# zpool create foo /dev/ada1

and

# zpool create foo mirror /dev/ada1 /dev/ada2

as well as

# zpool create foo mirror /dev/ada1 /dev/ada2 /dev/ada3

On these I've created a dataset on which I've been running some different benchmarking tools: fio, randomio and also plain dd reads/writes but I don't see any difference in performance whatsoever. All the disks in questions are "300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)". The server in question has 8GB of memory.

I am far from being an expert on BSD or ZFS and I am hoping someone could give me some pointers on a testcase that would produce higher read performance on the mirrors compared to the single disk. With fio and randomio I haven't been able to create a test that gives me different results on the mirrors compared to the single disks.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Show us your benchmarks!

With performance, do you mean IOps performance or do you mean sequential I/O performance?

ZFS should yield higher-than-single-disk performance for both random read IOps and sequential read throughput. In fact, i have seen ZFS come close to RAID0 in terms of sequential read on a mirror, which is pretty awesome as RAID1 with load balancing is the only one to come close to this kind of performance result.

Back