xorg-minimal is misleading

xorg-minimal needs to be re-named to something else. It's totally misleading.

What I was hoping for was a bare minimal X install. What I got was perl, python, xcb, glib, cairo, pixman, hal and a crap load of other libraries that I didn't want.

Pixman shouldn't even be a requirement! Note: Not directed at FreeBSD.

Most of them are build dependencies, not run dependencies.

Exactly, use your favorite ports tool to 1) use only packages for build dependencies 2) have build dependencies removed immediately after installation.

Using that scenario axed about a quarter of my ports and seriously cuts down on installation time.

In portmaster terms that is --packages-build and --delete-build-only on the command line, or
Code:
PM_PACKAGES_BUILD=pmp_build
PM_DEL_BUILD_ONLY=pm_dbo
in /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.

It's one of the reasons why I build my own packages on a build server. To keep the build dependencies off of my other machines.

SirDice said:
Most of them are build dependencies, not run dependencies.

They weren't always, at one time Xorg only required libpng, expat, FreeType and Fontconfig and XFree86 only needed libpng.

zester said:
They weren't always, at one time Xorg only required libpng, expat, FreeType and Fontconfig and XFree86 only needed libpng.

XFree86 wasn't modular. I'm quite sure it installed a whole lot more.

DutchDaemon said:
Exactly, use your favorite ports tool to 1) use only packages for build dependencies 2) have build dependencies removed immediately after installation.

Using that scenario axed about a quarter of my ports and seriously cuts down on installation time.

In portmaster terms that is --packages-build and --delete-build-only on the command line, or
Code:
PM_PACKAGES_BUILD=pmp_build
PM_DEL_BUILD_ONLY=pm_dbo
in /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.

I may be stupid but does that mean you use portmaster to install the stuff you want from ports instead of typeing make install clean in the correct ports folder? So you begin with installing portmaster?

And question B, what you saying is that if you install applications from packages instead of ports it will need lesser dependencies installed?

I only use portmaster to install everything (except portmaster itself the first time, of course). So I use e.g. # portmaster www/apache22 instead of # cd /usr/ports/www/apache22 && make install clean

And the answer to question B is 'yes' (to install packages, you don't need the build dependencies that a port requires), unless you use the specific option in portmaster.rc to remove build dependencies after the port depending on them has been installed; and to save on download and compile time, I tell portmaster to use binary packages for build dependencies whenever they're available. So they're installed quickly and removed straight after.

Ok I will use this strategy in the future, I think it should be mentioned more clearly in the handbook.

Btw, is it possible to create a pkg_add-installable package of xorg that doesn't include HAL support?

DemoDoG said:
Btw.. is it possible to create a pkg_add-installable package of xorg that doesent include HAL support?

Yes. Try something like # portmaster --force-config -f -g x11/xorg. The -g switch tells portmaster to build packages and leave them in /usr/ports/packages and -f can be used if you want it to build packages for all the dependencies.

Is there a way to auto-set delete of the build packages so I dont have to answer all the questions? I tried with -y but it didnt work :)

See /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.sample. Copy it to portmaster.rc and uncomment the desired options.

Back