Wine's working, did I do it right?

I got wine working and now have Acrobat X, Mavis Beacon, Notepad++, and Minitab 16 working in FreeBSD... wow, and awesome. But, I'm not convinced I need everything I did, so here's what I did, does it look like more than what's required?

First, I did:

Code:
wine wine-mono winetricks

and installed the tricks mfc42 and mspatcha

But, then, when I tried to run:

Code:
WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

It complained that it was 64 bit wine (duh) and gave me a command to run, so I ran it:

Code:
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine mesa-dri

and deleted the ~/.wine dir that was created. Then, I figured I needed 32 bit savvy versions of wine-mono and winetricks, so I:

Code:
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine wine-mono winetricks

and reinstalled the tricks mfc42 and mspatcha

after that I ran the installers and everything worked swell. Does it seem like I need to do all that? It looks like pkg install wine is required to get /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh, but that's about all I've figured out.

Hello,

you only need to install mesa-dri and wine with pkg32 how it gets suggest by that script, installing wine-mono and winetricks additionally is not needed.

So, if I want wine32 to begin with, I install wine with pkg, run the wine32 script as advised, and mono and winetricks get installed along the way?

So, if I want wine32 to begin with, I install wine with pkg, run the wine32 script as advised, and mono and winetricks get installed along the way?
I recommend setting up a FreeBSD-i386 jail and use standard pkg inside that. This will pull in the right i386 libraries.

I recommend setting up a FreeBSD-i386 jail and use standard pkg inside that. This will pull in the right i386 libraries.
Finally, a rationale for using jails that makes sense to me. Guess I'm gonna have to learn the basics. All these years, I could care less for jails - I just wasn't that concerned about process isolation or security issues it solved, but separating out the 32bit stuff from the main system - nice.

Finally, a rationale for using jails that makes sense to me. Guess I'm gonna have to learn the basics. All these years, I could care less for jails - I just wasn't that concerned about process isolation or security issues it solved, but separating out the 32bit stuff from the main system - nice.
Here is how I did it:
Wine32 in FreeBSD-i386 jail

(The above post discusses a DNS error I got after I had set up the jail, but it was resolved further down in the discussion.)

Back