Which would be your Franken-OS?

Which subsystem/aspect of each OS would you pick for the ideal OS?

Storage: FreeBSD & Solaris. In this order. I loved UFS2 when it came out, a non-COW filesystem with snapshots. And I'm loving ZFS.
Networking: FreeBSD.
Scheduler: Linux.
Graphics: Windows or MacOS. The fact that graphic cards work better on Windows is not Linux's fault, but at least fonts work out of the box. I don't use Windows at all anyway.
Userland: Linux.
Security: QubesOS. OpenBSD only for PF. Linux with something like Kata Containers instead of Flatpaks would be more usable than Qubes, though.
Virtualization: Linux with QEMU/KVM.
Package management: Haven't played with NixOS but the concept is cool.

Minix for a base install.
OpenBSD's Xenocara and ZeroConf.
FreeBSD for hardware drivers: video and wifi.
NetBSD's video driver for microboards.
NetBSD's coding standards.
Ports based on FreeBSD's; OpenIndiana's and DragonFlyBSD's.
Mksh and dma in base. A fork of Sxhkd in base too.

Then, maybe this all in Zig or a successor to Zig. Uses Ruby for some functions.

For me, in all cases - Sun (not Oracle) Solaris (with CDE) was the best (worked on it from 1999 to 2010).

It was my first UNIX in the university lab. I have good memories of it. CDE was the best DE I've ever used.

At home I was using Red Hat Linux 5.x in a PC but graphics sucked on Linux back then.

At the end of 1997 I tried to work on FreeBSD 2.2.5, it was a bad experience. And I switched to Linux (Red Had 4.2 and Skackware 3.3), at the same time I started working on Solaris 2.6. I completely switched to Solaris in 1999. For now FreeBSD is more acceptable then others I must working with.

A combination of:
  1. the user interface of Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.⋯) or any earlier version that used Aqua
  2. the technical capabilities (specifically excluding the UI) of more recent versions of Mac OS X
  3. official lowering of barriers (including licencing) that prevent, or discourage, use of Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.

Back