Solved vm bhyve - network absent on windows 10 guest

Hello,

After a few months struggle for usb passthrough to the guest, now a new frontier. Internet on the windows guest.
On windows cmd
Code:
ipconfig /all
shows only the
Code:
Windows Ip Configuration
with 4 lines, and nothing else, no ethernet adaptor, no wireless adaptor, nothing.
I tried to disable firewall on windows, I enabled some ICMP things to ping to the host, but with no success.
I have two questions:
1. Are there some setup specifications for windows os as guest ?
2. How to allocate a specific IP adress to the guest, if necessary?
( I created vm and vm switch with
Code:
vm switch create public
Code:
vm switch add public ue0
Code:
vm switch address public 192.168.x.x/24
Code:
create -t uefi -s 40G win10
)
Thanks in advance for any help.

Are there some setup specifications for windows os as guest ?
Windows doesn't have support for the virtio network adapter, you have to install it.
How to allocate a specific IP adress to the guest, if necessary?
You don't. You configure this on the VM itself.

And don't assign an IP address to the bridge.

In my uefi.conf file I have:
Code:
 disk1_type="ahci-cd"
 disk1_dev="custom"
 disk1_name="/zroot/bhyve/virtio-win-0.1.229.iso"
I thought that this is enough, but probably ,as I saw in the link you provided, I need also to execute
Code:
# vm install win10 /zroot/bhyve/virtio-win-01.229.iso
Unfortunately, right now I am in other location, and I cannot test all of these, but tomorrow I'll do and I'll come back.

Thank you, SirDice. It is verry much appreciated.

Simpler option, configure the VM with the e1000 network card instead of virtio-net. Windows should support it, then you can use Windows itself to download and install the appropriate driver.

Finally it works with the solution SirDice suggested.
I destroyed the switch, vm win10, then I recreated them but with a modified uefi.conf
Code:
network0_type="e1000"
#network0_type="virtio-net"
I installed windows 10 from the iso file, and I had internet access immediately after install.
From the windows guest I downloaded virtio network drivers from fedorapeople.org , then I run the exe file and the drivers were quickly installed.
Then I reversed the modification in the uefi.conf (as indicated in github.com/chuchers/vm-bhyve/wiki/Running-Windows)
Code:
#network0_type="e1000"
network0_type="virtio-net"
I restarted the computer and when I start the guest I had internet, and everything was just fine.
I consider this problem SOLVED, but honestly I don't know how to mark it so.

Back