Upgrading from 7.2 to 8.0

mharvey87 said:
So how do I upgrade my system because everything i read in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html was a load of crap and didn't work. Sources are installed but there is not /usr/src/UPGRADING file. Doesnt know how to "make buildworld" in any of the relevant directories in /usr/src/sys. WTF?

Ok.. It's not crap. It simply means you failed somewhere. Now go back and read up on getting the source tree.

Dude I did, installed it right off the same CD. all directories are empty up to /usr/src/sys. Possible media problem, I'll check.

Then you didn't install the source tree. No worries mate.. You can get it using csup. Just copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and edit it. Change the csup server to a mirror close to you.

Use RELENG_8 if you want 8-STABLE or RELENG_8_0 if you want 8.0-RELEASE (with patches).

Let it run # csup stable-supfile and you will have the sources in /usr/src.

Since this is the first time I've updated like this I just want to make sure I dont do anything dumb. So I would uncomment the "host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org" and also I would replase the RELENG_7 in "*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7" with "RELENG_8"? Is that everything, do I have to copy the file and put it anywhere?

Yeah its
Code:
# You may wish to change some of the settings in this file to better
# suit your system:
#
host=cvsup.us.FreeBSD.org

mharvey87 said:
Yeah its
Code:
# You may wish to change some of the settings in this file to better
# suit your system:
#
host=cvsup.us.FreeBSD.org

That should be:
Code:
*default host=cvsup.us.FreeBSD.org

The *default is needed for the cvsup/csup to understand the file. And it should exist on the base, prefix etc lines also. So replace those parts if you have deleted them.

Back