Solved Upgrade FreeBSD 12.2 to 13.0 ruined nearly everything

Hi
Today I upgraded FreeBSD from 12.2 to 13.0 and I just followed FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE Installation Instructions Abstract. I've done all the steps exactly like tutorial, but after reboot many softwares does not work/run. I don't have my text editor (emacs) and shell emulator (lxteminal) even my web browser (chromium) (I can't run them)
but some softwares like file manager (pcmanfm), video player (mpv) and download manager (uget) works well.
Some software does not run at all and others, such as Chromium, when I run them, I encounter a black screen and a noise sound and then system reboots automatically. even after reboot and entering my user name and password I coudn't install any software (after try to install any software nothing happend).

Things getting worth after I shut down my computer and
now after reboot I see this:

۲۰۲۲۰۲۰۳_۱۶۱۳۳۵.jpg

after press enter I see:

root@:/ #

after giving root access with
sudo su
I see these errors:
ld-elf .so.1: Shared object "libncursesw.so.8" not found, required by "bash"
and now when I try to install something even with root access I see this error:
pkg: Insufficient privileges to install packages
I can't even see X environment and type
startx I see this:
۲۰۲۲۰۲۰۳_۱۶۳۴۲۸.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Did you reinstall your packages? 12.2 ->13.0 has ABI changes, so many programs will need to be re-installed to work.

Your UFS partition seems to be in corrupt state and the automatic fsck process is unable to fix this. Have you fixed that by running fsck manually?

If not: first get your UFS partition into a sane state by running fsck.

I can't even see X environment and type
startx I see this:
You're stuck in single user mode because of the filesystem issues. In single user mode nothing is started or running, network isn't configured, and only the root filesystem is mounted (read-only). Nothing is configured actually, so yes, those errors are to be expected if you try to start X from single mode.

Your UFS partition seems to be in corrupt state and the automatic fsck process is unable to fix this. Have you fixed that by running fsck manually?

I'm doing fsck right now. It seem it takes some time. I will tell results after process.

You're stuck in single user mode because of the filesystem issues. In single user mode nothing is started or running, network isn't configured, and only the root filesystem is mounted (read-only). Nothing is configured actually, so yes, those errors are to be expected if you try to start X from single mode.
This error occured after several reboot. my main problem was that some softwares didn't run after upgrade. I know that upgrade did well because I've seen freebsd 13.0 text in pkg repository (https url).

fsck worked pretty well and I can see x environment again :)
I came back again to start page and I can use pkg package manager. after trying to install konsole so many packages are fetching (nearly 600 packages). It takes hours to finish.
After finish process I will inform.
Thank you so much.

Everything you're seeing is normal and expected, except for the file system problem, which prevented booting and dropped you into single user mode. In particular, having to do pkg upgrade/update after a base update is normal. And as you said, it can be time-consuming, if lots of packages were installed.

What might have caused the file system problem? Don't know. You said you had "several reboots". This might be the cause: In theory, an upgrade should require only one reboot; if the other ones were crashes or hard resets, one of those might have caused journal corruption. This shouldn't happen, but in practice it occasionally does.

hbsd you might like to check the state of the disk.

sudo pkg install sysutils/gsmartcontrol

sudo gsmartcontrol

You can perform an extended self-test, which is not a thorough test, but it's a good start.

Hi dear friends,
Thank you all very much. I solved my problem and I have FreeBSD 13.0 and all softwares works very well.
fsck made a miracle and solved all file system problems in a short time.
Thank you so much for all replays...
Using FreeBSD was the best decision of my life and I really enjoy being here.
I solved this problem:
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncursesw.so.8" not found, required by "libreadline.so.8"
with installing compat12x-amd64:
sudo pkg install compat12x-amd64

2022-02-04-125549_1024x768_scrot.png

I solved this problem:
Code:
 ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncursesw.so.8" not found, required by "libreadline.so.8"
with installing compat12x-amd64:
sudo pkg install compat12x-amd64
This tells me you haven't reinstalled all your ports/packages yet. At least some of them are still from 12.x. That's why you needed that compatibility library.

Force a reinstall of all your packages, just to make sure everything is upgraded properly: pkg upgrade -f

That's probably going to take a while to finish. But once it is finished you can remove compat12x-amd64. You shouldn't need that any more.

SirDice sorry to bother you again. I've done pkg upgrade -f
so many packages installed and extracted and I removed compat12x-amd64 and got no error. Do I need to do anything else? Is everything done correctly? Is there a way to be sure?

(Not SirDice) I think you're good to go.

Sort of sad that you had a little bit of file system corruption, but good to hear that fsck fixed that.

I need to thank you all again. Without your help, it would've been impossible for me to solve these problems. I added the solved tag to the topic.

Back