sound volume low even at highest volume.

Can i increase the sound volume with a sysctl ?

hw.snd.vpc_0db
Default value for sound volume. Increase to give more room for
attenuation control. Decrease for more amplification, with the
possible cost of sound clipping.

Check that you are on the right output: cat /dev/sndstat

When you have picked the right output, check the sysctl hw.snd.vpc_0db value

sysctl sysctl hw.snd.vpc_0db=VALUE

This is what I had to do on my Lenovo laptops earlier to get a normal sound level.
And of course check mixer that vol / pcm is at 100:100

So, it means 10,000 percent, yes?

(I already looked at the manual page, which makes no mention of 100 (without %).)

According to the manual page 70% = 0.7, so it seems that:
  • 1.0 = 100%
  • 100 = 10,000%
Also "… values should typically be decimal numbers between 0 and 1 …", so 100 (much greater than 1) is atypical.

hw.snd.vpc_0db
Yes, hw.snd.vpc_0db=1 that's what I have in /etc/sysctl.conf and helps.

But still, same machine running Linux and playing same content with same player (mpv), has it's sound level (alsamixer) set at 18% where I have to set the FreeBSD mixer vol.volume at 0.52 to have the same perception.

Yes, hw.snd.vpc_0db=1 that's what I have in /etc/sysctl.conf and helps.

But still, same machine running Linux and playing same content with same player (mpv), has it's sound level (alsamixer) set at 18% where I have to set the FreeBSD mixer vol.volume at 0.52 to have the same perception.
And everything else pcm,vol is at 100% ? Same audio ouput (alsa?pulse?) ?

DavidMarec thanks!

Hint: you can use the pull-down menus near the head of the manual page to get a version-specific page, then find its (version-specific) permalink near the foot of the page.

Also, via the help link near the foot of the page: release alias permalinks.

DavidMarec thanks!

Hint: you can use the pull-down menus near the head of the manual page to get a version-specific page, then find its (version-specific) permalink near the foot of the page.

Also, via the help link near the foot of the page: release alias permalinks.

Yep, I thought that the right URL was pasted. The editor of this forum engine works badly on my side.

Back