Solved rkhunter(8) return a warning about /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb

I ran the following # rkhunter -c everything is ok but one warning that I don't think is important but don't understand why I get it. ?
Code:
[20:28:42]   /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb                           [ Warning ]
[20:28:42] Warning: The command '/usr/local/sbin/pkgdb' has been replaced by a script: /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb: Ruby script, ASCII text executable
I saw that it's effectively a ruby script, but why do I get a warning about it?

[edit] 2022-12-06 [edit]:
And also is it telling me that a script (unknown) replaced the (known) script pkgdb or that it was not a script before ?

Rootkit Hunter 1.4.6
pkgdb 2.4.16

Code:
cksum /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb

1521661239 24687

cksum Desktop/pkgdb (from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freebsd/portupgrade/master/bin/pkgdb)

1521661239 24687

I only modified the first line of the github script about the env.

The warning seem to be a false positive, but I would like to know what is the reference for that warning? how the script rkhunter(8) came to conclude that something is not rigth with that pkgdb ruby script? I checked the faq from the sources and read the manual pages but I cant find it. and that too I dont understand :
Code:
rkhunter --propupd /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb
The file properties file does not exist: /usr/local/var/lib/rkhunter/db/rkhunter.dat
where are the data used as reference by rkhunter(8) to compare with the existing file on the system?

[edit]:

Ok, i found the directories where rkhunter put it's data and how to generate them which I did'nt do prior to launch it the firs time. so i did the following I generated the rkhunter.dat whit the option --propupd alone and it generated the file. but it did'nt change the fact that the warning is still prompted for the script pkgdb, even if I update the the .dat file. I red in the Readme that the option --pkgmgr BSDng can be use to tell rkhunter to use the package manager as its database and when I run the thing to check the system with that option the warning doesnt popup. but updating the database for the pkgdb script does nothing at all, if I dont run rkhunter whit the --pkgmgr BSDng option I will have the same warning even if I updated the .dat file with the same option before.

So what i'll do is enable PKGMGR BSDng option in the configuration file /usr/local/etc/rkhunter.conf and put it resolved. even if I dont understand the issue really for the moment. if some has a clue, thanks for sharing.

Thanks

I think a simple explanation would be the way the FreeBSD system works if you choose to install packages, then, because some of those packages update files rkhunter is testing for changes using the PKGMGR BSDng option in the config file resolves the warning message you were getting. It's not a false positive necessarily because it does indicate a file change occurred with the "/usr/local/sbin/pkgdb" file which could be serious. For example, some may be running FreeBSD without any packages and wouldn't want the PGKMGR BSDng option set. In that scenario, even someone adding a package without permission or accidentally on a system that updated a file through an installed package would not be a false positive. Anyways, you might want to read through the section of the "rkhunter.conf.sample" file that starts with "# The PKGMGR option tells rkhunter" and see if that makes sense.

Back