Other Remote development using SSH?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

I wondered if there was any way to handle development using SSH to a virtual machine running FreeBSD 13.2 from an Apple Mac Studio. I know Visual Studio Code allows remote development, but from what I have seen on this page, it does not support FreeBSD as a host:

Can someone suggest an alternative solution? I don't mind what editor I use. In terms of programming languages, it'll likely be Rust, JavaScript, and Python.

If you need any more information, then please let me know.

What sort of development are you doing? Do you need to be able to run an i.e native compiler on the mac? If so, yes, as SirDice mentioned, SSHing in and vim, command line tools tends to be the cleaner approach. (I think Vim and GNU Screen come by default on macOS?).

If you don't need to compile anything (or doing "non-native" development like .NET/Java, etc), then perhaps you can look at samba, nfs, sshfs to mount locally and edit the files / compile via the hosts tools.

Oh, just re-read and noticed that you are running macOS and want to do development on a FreeBSD VM. In that case, then the VS Code stuff should work. SSH is standardized (even though Microsoft were late to the party by a couple of decades); the people who wrote the docs probably just don't know of many operating systems to be able to correctly list them.

Just try it basically. Unless VS Code remote is exceptionally poor in terms of design and architecture, it should work. Sending SSH commands was solved a looong time ago.

I tend to use vi, vim or gvim (depending on the network speed). My development and non-development machines are downstairs, essentially making all development "remote." But when away from home I ssh in, either port forwarding X or creating a full VPN using ssh.

I don't use Visual Studio Code for FreeBSD development and for that matter I don't at $JOB either, using a FreeBSD VM on my employer's Windows laptop instead for development there -- while others at $JOB use VSC (with git-bash).

Call me old fashioned. I can work more efficiently with vi or a vi clone and the command line than an IDE. Moving my hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back again, though takes mere seconds, added up over time, makes me less productive than with the basic tools provided by BSD or UNIX. (And moving my hand back and forth from the keyboard to the mouse and back again is frustrating and gets old after a while.)

BTW, this is why vi, a modal editor, uses the h, j, k, and l keys to move around the editor. So you don't have to move your hands from the alpha part of the keyboard to the arrow keys -- as explained to me by an old UNIX programmer 30-40 years ago. As he explained it to me, even that was enough to interrupt the flow of creating or editing code. I remembered his words. He was right.

re - editing files on remote filesystems, especially where builds may be done.

Be careful! build systems using timestamp of modification are easily broken when the devs use NFS/samba/etc to edit source files on remote machines. Just sayin!

I tend to use vi, vim or gvim (depending on the network speed). My development and non-development machines are downstairs, essentially making all development "remote." But when away from home I ssh in, either port forwarding X or creating a full VPN using ssh.

I don't use Visual Studio Code for FreeBSD development and for that matter I don't at $JOB either, using a FreeBSD VM on my employer's Windows laptop instead for development there -- while others at $JOB use VSC (with git-bash).

Call me old fashioned. I can work more efficiently with vi or a vi clone and the command line than an IDE. Moving my hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back again, though takes mere seconds, added up over time, makes me less productive than with the basic tools provided by BSD or UNIX. (And moving my hand back and forth from the keyboard to the mouse and back again is frustrating and gets old after a while.)

BTW, this is why vi, a modal editor, uses the h, j, k, and l keys to move around the editor. So you don't have to move your hands from the alpha part of the keyboard to the arrow keys -- as explained to me by an old UNIX programmer 30-40 years ago. As he explained it to me, even that was enough to interrupt the flow of creating or editing code. I remembered his words. He was right.
Yeah, I used vim too. There are some nice vim plugins like Nerdtree and cscope plugins. With the right set of plugins, you can have a fully fledged IDE with vim. I used this remotely over ssh to my dev/test machine and it worked great. Just install the plugins in your .vim directory on the remote machine and switch on the plugins in your .vimrc

What does mean "remote development using ssh"?

If you can use a screwdriver for remote development, then you can use it. If not, then not.

There are many ways to use ssh, scp. They are for opening a shell on the remote server, to transfer files.
Yes, that is usable in remote development. And there are editors that make it perhaps a little more
comfortable, but I do not expect miracles.

I really do not understand the question.

if the clocks aren't synced, or the filesystems don't have the same timestamp resolution then editing files on both server and client can cause file modification times to be incorrect relative to each other, and trigger unnecessary build rules, or worse side effects if you are using stub files to trigger rebuilds based on their timestamps: a process that is discouraged but sometimes done anyways.

What does mean "remote development using ssh"?
Visual Studio is able to work on Windows desktop and compile remotely on Linux (BSD?) over SSH. You start new Linux project, edit the program and when start compilation, VS uses gcc/clang on Linux over ssh. I guess question is for this + BSD.

Sample link:

Sorry, I'm a bit late replying. I had a busy day.

Very useful information. I'll have a play around with the options.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

I wondered if there was any way to handle development using SSH to a virtual machine running FreeBSD 13.2 from an Apple Mac Studio. I know Visual Studio Code allows remote development, but from what I have seen on this page, it does not support FreeBSD as a host:

Can someone suggest an alternative solution? I don't mind what editor I use. In terms of programming languages, it'll likely be Rust, JavaScript, and Python.

If you need any more information, then please let me know.
Remember: visual studio is Gates related.

Thank you all.

I think the best option is to learn a CLI text editor like Vim or Emacs so I can do everything using SSH. Improving my command line skills will help as well.

Ok, emacs is not always a "CLI text editor". What a lot of people do is ssh to "wherever", forward X sessions, and "use the tools". I've been doing this from a FreeBSD host to Linux or others for a long time. My opinion is that all IDEs end up at "make/editor/tags" so learn the base tools and the rest falls into place.

Ok, emacs is not always a "CLI text editor". What a lot of people do is ssh to "wherever", forward X sessions, and "use the tools". I've been doing this from a FreeBSD host to Linux or others for a long time. My opinion is that all IDEs end up at "make/editor/tags" so learn the base tools and the rest falls into place.
Sorry. I didn't mean Emacs was always a CLI editor.

Thank you.

I think the best option is to learn a CLI text editor like
If you do anything on a remote server, you should deal with a cli editor, for example for dealing with
configuration files. At best with one that is standard in the OS of the remote server.

Back