Printer Setup (HP LaserJet Professional P1102w)

I've been for a couple of days to get a FreeBSD machine to print to this Printer through the network... and failing. I've tried CUPS and CUPS + HPLIP and lpd. Someone at the HPLIP Launchpad forums suggested that HPLIP does not work on FreeBSD...

The printer does work, I can log into its web server and everything looks fine. A Mac can print to it just fine.

I tried to use the PPD that was installed on the Mac by the CD installer and others supplied by CUPS.

'hp-setup' tries to install a binary plug-in but fails. Other HPLIP utilities (like hp-testpage) don't mind though and are able to see the printer but don't actually print anything. Same with CUPS. CUPS tells me that jobs I send to the printer are completed.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

I was testing with that port you mention. And looking through the specs it does suggest that it is a host-based printer. I guess that explains the plug-in... These same specs mention Linux support via HPLIP.

So, last question probably: the fact that this is a host-based printer mean I should give up?

gnarlenos said:
I was testing with that port you mention. And looking through the specs it does suggest that it is a host-based printer. I guess that explains the plug-in... These same specs mention Linux support via HPLIP.

So, last question probably: the fact that this is a host-based printer mean I should give up?

No, or at least not that quickly. print/foo2zjs should be the driver for it. That might be usable as a filter with lpd, but would require CUPS also. In theory, you should be able to set up CUPS for it. There's a CUPS for FreeBSD document.

For future reference, buying a used office laser is one of the best ways to go.

Just for the record: the HPLIP port (print/hplip) works nicely on FreeBSD. I use it with my HP PhotoSmart 8250 printer. As you have discovered, not all printers are equal. YMMV.

Back