Option Icon 322 Quicksilver usb device

Hi -- I am a retiree, who by virtue of my employment, was stuck in the Microsoft rut. I had wanted to learn linux, and was pointed toward Ubuntu 9.10. I installed it on my laptop (2004, Compaq Presario R3000 series) in a dual-boot arrangement with WinXP. The goal was (is) to finish what I need to do with MSwin and leave it behind. My internet connection device (Option Icon 322 Quicksilver usb device, used as a part of the AT&T cell phone network)caused total lock-up in Ubuntu, forcing me to do a pull-the-plug power-down and reboot. The workaround, stemming from the solution at pharscape.org, was not how I wanted to begin my learning experience. I registered at the forums of other major linux distributions, and asked about support for this device and got -0- replies.

I then found BSD, did some reading, and found this info about 3g usb, azmawee.pbworks.com. This gave me hope.

Are there any users here could give me some guidance ? Are there folks here using 3g usb internet devices ? Would I have reasonable luck getting up and running so that I could begin my learning experience ?

Thank you in advance for any help. I am really eager to get started.

Back