Solved OEM Install

Are there any OEM installer scripts for FreeBSD that would allow a user to configure their root credentials and user accounts on first boot? Would this be better achieved by imaging the install image to the systems internal storage?

That is available during fresh installation procedure...

If you want to be able to set up root and user account on first boot, flash pfSense on a router, and turn it off. Then the next time you turn that on, that's when you get to set up root and user (in a sense).

Both are part of the standard FreeBSD setup - no need for any "OEM scripts"...
Yes, I understand. But I was wanting to do an install with root creds and user creds configured by a 3rd party. I do the install and give them the system and they set it up.

That is available during fresh installation procedure...

If you want to be able to set up root and user account on first boot, flash pfSense on a router, and turn it off. Then the next time you turn that on, that's when you get to set up root and user (in a sense).
That's pretty great but I don't want to have a system used as a router. I was thinking a consumer laptop rather than a utility focused system.

You can always figure out how pfSense did it, and see if you want to put in the effort to do something similar for yourself. It's a nice rabbit hole to go down, you won't be bored for a LONG time. I'm doing the same thing with Poudriere and KDE, as in, compiling just KDE ports against existing installed stuff. But my playbook is this:

- Yeah, I don't see that being done as part of the official project that everybody knows about. That's OK. I just line up the technical details (and along the way, get a bit of help doing that on these Forums).
- Frame it as a personal project that I'm doing for myself. Asking others to do things differently - that's asking for trouble. Asking if something convenient exists - that's fine. Asking for help lining up technical details of different components - that's fine, too. But asking an established project to change something about them - that's asking a lot, especially when your real name is not on their list that they proudly publish everywhere.
- Be ready to back up and fix mistakes on previous steps - every step of the way, even if it means backing up 2 or 3 or more steps.
- Don't lose sight of the goal. It's OK if it ends up being just something that you pulled off for yourself, rather than something that got officially recognized by a major project like FreeBSD. If official recognition of efforts is the endgame, then yeah, no way around putting in a LOT of work. If personal convenience is the endgame, telling/asking others to change how they present themselves is probably not the best way to go about it.

You can always figure out how pfSense did it, and see if you want to put in the effort to do something similar for yourself. It's a nice rabbit hole to go down, you won't be bored for a LONG time. I'm doing the same thing with Poudriere and KDE, as in, compiling just KDE ports against existing installed stuff. But my playbook is this:

- Yeah, I don't see that being done as part of the official project that everybody knows about. That's OK. I just line up the technical details (and along the way, get a bit of help doing that on these Forums).
- Frame it as a personal project that I'm doing for myself. Asking others to do things differently - that's asking for trouble. Asking if something convenient exists - that's fine. Asking for help lining up technical details of different components - that's fine, too. But asking an established project to change something about them - that's asking a lot, especially when your real name is not on their list that they proudly publish everywhere.
- Be ready to back up and fix mistakes on previous steps - every step of the way, even if it means backing up 2 or 3 or more steps.
- Don't lose sight of the goal. It's OK if it ends up being just something that you pulled off for yourself, rather than something that got officially recognized by a major project like FreeBSD. If official recognition of efforts is the endgame, then yeah, no way around putting in a LOT of work. If personal convenience is the endgame, telling/asking others to change how they present themselves is probably not the best way to go about it.
That is an interesting idea. I would have to decide if I would have the time to invest in researching pfsense setup and attempting to implement a similar solution on freebsd. At the moment I have limited available time to invest. I imagine a considerable amount of time has gone into the solution they have developed so it may be as simple as porting the work to a FreeBSD system. If that were the case it may even be as simple as gathering dependencies. That would be pretty stellar. I'll look into that too. Thank you!

Back