Solved No windows (samba) and nfs share protocol listed on Kodi

Hi all,

I just installed latest version of Kodi on FreeBSD 13.1 on a guest VM to test. Things look mostly normal, however, neither windows (samba) nor nfs share is not listed in the protocol drop down list when trying to add video or music source, which prevents me from connecting to my NAS. FreeBSD installation contains samba412 package installed.I am quite perplexed and never had this problem before with Libre ELEC / Kodi installations before. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Options are off by default, so the package has this disabled.

Code:
     NFS=off: Network File System support
     SMB=off: SMB network protocol support

Thank you so much for your reply SirDice ! Do I need to compile Kodi to be able to turn them on or can I still use the package and somehow enable these futures? Please excuse my ignorance.

Edit: Never mind, I realized that I can mount the shares at OS level, which would allow Kodi access them. I will try that instead and report back 😊.

I don't know when this changed, but in the past there were issues with NFS and so it was disabled by default. At the time I had a couple of Raspberry Pis accessing a shared MtSQL database on my server. Installing Kodi on FreeBSD was a deal breaker in that instance because the shared database expected all clients to access files using the path in the database, eg NFS://server/mediafiles/... With FreeBSD Kodi package that wasn;t possible due to NFS option being off. So I compiled it from ports and switched on NFS. It worked and I contacted the maintainer who told me it was off because of a failed dependency and was pleased to hear it now worked. IIRC he updated the port/pkg to default to NFS on.

I just checked and I have NFS and SMB options turned on and while that is not the default in the port, NFS support does work here on this laptop.

Back