Need purge failed Xfce4 installation from ports

Good morning,

I try to install Xfce4 from ports.
After some hour my laptop is shutdown because i forget to recharge the battery.
Now I can't install from ports because the install stop after 20 min..
How I can clean the old installation and restart a new fresh xfce4 installation from ports?
Thanks all.

Now I can't install from ports because the install stop after 20 min..
How I can clean the old installation and restart a new fresh xfce4 installation from ports?
Just start it again, cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 and make install. It'll pick up where it left off. There's no need for any "purging".

I did it.
The system send me :

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-18 at 15.35.02.jpeg

Please don't post pictures of text. Just copy/paste the information please.

And those are just generic errors, the real error has scrolled off the screen.

In any case, any reason why you're building from ports and not using packages? Just pkg install xfce4 and be done.

The way I deal with that kind of problem is using script(1). You type # script just before # make && make install in the port's directory. This dumps all the visible text into a file that you can later look at using # cat typescript | less. Scroll up and down, and locate your error that way. I would caution against over-doing it - a successful compilation will dump a LOT of text into that file. I only use that method to hunt down errors.

Oh, and before I forget: in the port's directory, I sometimes remove the work/ subdirectory of a failed installation. # rm -rf ./work followed by # make && make install starts the compilation anew. I have to do it if I realize I need to make changes to the makefile options. If no changes are needed to those makefile options, then it's fine to skip removing the work/ subdirectory of a failed installation.

I have to do it if I realize I need to make changes to the makefile options. If no changes are needed to those makefile options, then it's fine to skip removing the work/ subdirectory of a failed installation.
A port's configuration options are stored in /var/db/ports/, not the work/ directory. Just run make config if you want/need to change them.

A port's configuration options are stored in /var/db/ports/, not the work/ directory. Just run make config if you want/need to change them.
The point of removing the work/ directory is to start the compilation anew. Without that, make is gonna ignore the changes you made in # make config, and just pick up where you left. Not the best option, IMHO.

Good evening gentlemen,
sorry for my noobies.

for SirDice
Please don't post pictures of text. Just copy/paste the information please.

And those are just generic errors, the real error has scrolled off the screen.

In any case, any reason why you're building from ports and not using packages? Just pkg install xfce4 and be done.
I m using ports instead of pkg because i come from gentoo and I used every time emerge ( from source),
and I read that is not a good job to use ports and binary togheter.
Please explaine me which is the best way to approach the FreeBSD.

for astyle
The way I deal with that kind of problem is using script(1). You type # script just before # make && make install in the port's directory. This dumps all the visible text into a file that you can later look at using # cat typescript | less. Scroll up and down, and locate your error that way. I would caution against over-doing it - a successful compilation will dump a LOT of text into that file. I only use that method to hunt down errors.
I attached the file.
I removed the work directory but the problem is still alive.
I will try to have a look for make config in /var/db/ports

Please help me to read the file because I can't read it.

ops..
I renamed file in make.text because it won't be attached.

With make install clean | less i seen the problem was cups.
I installed cups via ports separately and now I receved
this warning: ./grammar .y :799.1-12: warning: deprecated directive: "%pure-parser", use "%define api.pure" [

Ps: I read around in the forum and I seriously thinking to move at package
I suppose that for laptop the best solution are binary package.
Is a good solution?Please help to take the right decision.
Greetings

🙂

Attachments

• make.txt
    14.8 KB · Views: 63
Good evening gentleman,

I decide to reinstall and switch to binary package.
Thanky you for support
Same here. I stick with quarterly packages. Seems to be the most stable and low-maintenance configuration available, and I can finish a fresh install in a few hours, and with minimal wear and tear on the hardware. Edited to add: I also stick to the RELEASE versions, which seem to be the most "stable," and which give me a bare-bones installation in less than 30 minutes using USB memstick images. I then save the USB installer to serve as rescue media.

Same here. I stick with quarterly packages. Seems to be the most stable and low-maintenance configuration available, and I can finish a fresh install in a few hours, and with minimal wear and tear on the hardware. Edited to add: I also stick to the RELEASE versions, which seem to be the most "stable," and which give me a bare-bones installation in less than 30 minutes using USB memstick images. I then save the USB installer to serve as rescue media.
A bare-bones install takes about 10-15 minutes, which includes telling the computer to boot from the stick. If you just stick to defaults instead of messing around, and have info like root password, first username/password, and hostname handy - my time can be closer to 7 minutes.

A bare-bones install takes about 10-15 minutes, which includes telling the computer to boot from the stick. If you just stick to defaults instead of messing around, and have info like root password, first username/password, and hostname handy - my time can be closer to 7 minutes.
Impressive. I almost always mess around with manual partitioning, but still get much better times than any Linux installs I've tried. Not using a stopwatch, I don't have exact timings on any of this stuff.

Downloading and installing server software plus a DE afterwards takes about another hour or more, depending on the DE, but then again, I don't always install a desktop.

I almost always mess around with manual partitioning, but still get much better times than any Linux installs I've tried.
Manual partitioning was a must in my Linux days, and even thorough planning was not enough. With ZFS, I discovered that I can fine-tune dataset limits later. And then I discovered that I can split off and manage any folder I want, how I want, whenever I want, and fine-tune it afterwards, too! :p. Thanks to ZFS, I can skip any kind of messing around - and I did discover truckloads of cool stuff that can be done later with the installer-suggested defaults - which were very well thought through, too. Another Linux frustration I left behind.

Manual partitioning was a must in my Linux days, and even thorough planning was not enough. With ZFS, I discovered that I can fine-tune dataset limits later. And then I discovered that I can split off and manage any folder I want, how I want, whenever I want, and fine-tune it afterwards, too! :p. Thanks to ZFS, I can skip any kind of messing around - and I did discover truckloads of cool stuff that can be done later with the installer-suggested defaults - which were very well thought through, too. Another Linux frustration I left behind.
Kudos.

Back