My first question on FreeBSD.

rpk2006 said:
I already have Windows 7 installed. On what type of other partition I can install FreeBSD?

You can only install on UFS or ZFS. But only UFS is available with the normal sysinstall setup. It also has to be installed on a primary MS-DOS/BIOS partition (which is called a slice on FreeBSD).

I have four partitions on my hard-disk, 2 NTFS and 2 FAT32. All four are packed with data. To install FreeBSD, how should I proceed? I don't want to loose any information on my partitions. Is it possible to install it on a USB hard-disk?

A better idea is to move your data to a partition on the USB hard drive
and free up enough space for a FreeBSD slice - 40-50 Gb.

rpk2006 said:
How much space a minimum installation of FreeBSD needs?

FreeBSD requires a 486 or better processor and at least 24 MB of RAM. You will need at least 150 MB of free hard drive space for the most minimal installation.

Forget all the dual boot headache and all that, and run FreeBSD under a VM, such as OracleSun Virtual Box. The performance penalty is minimal, and you can use snapshots to roll back any big mistakes that you might make.

Then, if you really find a need for FreeBSD, use a separate machine for it.

@shitson:

No, there is plenty of room on other partitions, but I wanted to know how much minimum space FreeBSD is going to take.

@Pushrod:

I have VirtualBox installed and I try to run Fedora from a live .iso on my hard disk, but it sucks the entire CPU power. Is FreeBSD lighter?

Have a read of the Handbook. A FreeBSD install can be very small, but is generally not going to be very usable as a Desktop system. A small install can be anywhere down to 300-512MB. But i would be looking at leaving maybe 10/15GB even 25-30GB if you can spare it.

Will you be compiling anything from Ports?

Back