mutt vs neomutt on freebsd

I'm about to pkg install mutt when I see neomutt in the repo. What do y'all think, is one better maintained than the other and are they compatible?

Well, mutt works, just dropped in my backed up .mutt directory from linux and it worked beautifully. I'm still interested in answers to the question though :).

There were a series of User Interface patches that were often applied to mutt binaries but were not included in mutt upstream. Off the top of my head, a sidebar was one such patch.

Neomutt incorporated the patches.

If your happy with your mutt configuration , neomutt will only add features you're not presently using.

Moreover several of these patches were available in FreeBSD's port of mutt until recently. There were indeed some issues with them, and having neomutt in ports, there was no reason to keep them. There are actually tons of these patches, they're not just about the user interface. I'd actually recommend neomutt to everyone, but of course use what you prefer. 😉

I use neomutt, because I thought I'd want the sidebar, which, at the time, was easier to do in neomutt--don't know about now. It does, for whatever reason, seem a teeny tiny bit faster to me, but that's probably subjective. I think shepper put it best--if you're happy with mutt, neo will only add features you don't need. (Postscript on the neomutt sidebar--I got bored with it in a few days and stopped using it.)

Back