Solved linuxulator switching to non root user in the chroot to run davinci resolve

i already have the shim set up on freebsd and working with obs studio nvenc encoding
ill go through all the steps and document stuff as i go

the linux browser install script

has wrapper scripts that start pulseaudio on the host and gets it working with the chroot
and then launches the browser in the chroot

idea is to repurpose those scripts to launch resolve

thats a piece of the puzzle for later
i always plan ahead and try to have idea of the things might come up and how to solve them

hi mate, making progress

chmod the nvidia run script

Code:
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.146.02.run

install the nvidia driver

Code:
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.146.02.run --install-compat32-libs --no-nvidia-modprobe --no-backup --no-kernel-module --no-x-check --no-nouveau-check --no-cc-version-check --no-kernel-module-source --no-check-for-alternate-installs --install-libglvnd --skip-depmod --no-systemd

run nvidia-smi in the chroot
and it works

Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.146.02             Driver Version: 535.146.02   CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650        Off | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   44C    P8               1W /  50W |      0MiB /  4096MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                           |

installing packages for resolve

Code:
sudo apt install nvidia-cuda-toolkit ocl-icd-opencl-dev libglu1-mesa libfuse2 initramfs-tools

45 minutes to download

next step use debootstrap to create a deb installer for resolve

at this stage in the how to guide

running makeresolvedeb to create the deb file to install resolve

progress so far

will take about an hour

davinci resolve installed didnt take as long as i thought to build the deb

next step create a launcher for resolve
my idea is to use the linux browser script launcher and modify it to launch resolve

as you can see,my suggestions are very careful...I hope that when you will be able to run it,you want to help me to fix this error that prevents me from running resolve :

Code:
sh << EOF
env LD_LIBMAP="`nv-sglrun printenv LD_LIBMAP | grep -v libGL`" /compat/ubuntu2310/opt/resolve/bin/./resolve
EOF

=

/compat/ubuntu2310/opt/resolve/bin/./resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libgpudetect.so:
 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and that I'm not able to fix it....

PS : I have just fixed the error above using this trick :

Code:
ln -s /lib64/libcrypt.so.2.0.0 libgpudetect.so

I'm very happy. After a lot of tries and perseverance,I've been able to run Davinci Resolve and most important,it recognizes my GPU and even the CUDA libraries :

Screenshot_2024-02-15_22-29-52.png

How to reach this result ? running inside the linuxulator this script :

Code:
bash << EOF
xhost +
LD_PRELOAD=/home/marietto/Files/dummy-uvm.so /opt/resolve/bin/./resolve
EOF

yes,X11. I'm not sure that wayland is mature enough to use it everyday...maybe in some years...so. Does Davinci Resolve work with X11 for you ?

wayland is great on freebsd with dwl, no issues at all

ive been using wayland for a couple of years without any issues at all
on ubuntu, fedora, nixos and freebsd

ive always run resolve on wayland
not going back to x

my posts on setting dwl on freebsd

Back